Please enlighten me

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparda1345

Offical Wannabe
Unverified
Hey guys, I have a few questions that I am hoping to find the answers to and was hoping you could help me out. First off, I'll give you a little background. I've been talking to my recruiter for a while now and have already taken my ASVAB, got an 88. I've put a lot of thought into trying to join Army Special Forces, but I've always been told that you have to be an E-4 and have 3 years prior service. Not a problem, but that would mean I would have to join as something else, so I started talking to my recruiter about going into Ranger and he sent me to take my ASVAB. When I got back however, he told me with my score i would be dumb to go into the Rangers and told me about an option 18x contract that would let me go straight to Special Forces So my questions are,
1. Would it be better to join as something else (not just Ranger) to get experience first?
2. What all does the Pre SFAS course include and does it really help my chances?
Thank you for any help you can give and even for reading my lengthy post, and please note that I in no way believe I'm just going to walk in and be given a Special Forces patch, I am just trying to not jump into something that is going to get me screwed down the road

No, Its my overall score, My GT is 123, I believe you need a 110 for SF
Thank you for the concern and quick answer!
Also forgot to include
3. What decides if you get specialty you get (18 b,c,d)?

Gotcha. I'll bow out now, but the way your post read you were "a bit" under the curve for SF.

However this:
he told me with my score i would be dumb to go into the Rangers

He needs cock-punched for that statement. Like a Falcon Punch, but lower. Some of the smartest guys I know are 11B's....and more than a few of those wore a scroll.

And with that, the SF and Ranger types are free to move about the thread.

He needs cock-punched for that statement. Like a Falcon Punch, but lower. Some of the smartest guys I know are 11B's....and more than a few of those wore a scroll.

I completely agree, I have three good friends in the regiment and one of them scored higher than me (the other two not far behind) but my eyes lit up at the thought of going straight to SFQC

To answer your question as an 18x I would say to go to Ranger Battalion, then come to SF as an E-5. That is just me though, and like I have said before you can never say enough about experience.

However you decide to go, understand this......SF, Ranger, any kind of SOF is a LIFESTYLE...not just something you do becasue you think it's cool. Start wrapping your head around that concept.

I am in the same position as sparda1345, I have really been debating which route is the best route to take. I have talked to a few people that have gone to SFAS, and I have heard that the 18X candidates do better overall on the physical aspects of SFAS. I have been told that coming out of basic training helps with the physical aspects a lot. They said the wash out rate is about the same on both sides though. On one side you have guys that have all the physical background needed do to basic training, but lack the experience to pass. On the other side a lot of guys that drop their packet, and have 3+ years normally have not had extensive physical training before joining.

I have not really got a strait answer to what experience they are looking for in SFAS, I am not trying to violate any rules here and am not asking for exact details. My question comes down to are they looking for just the maturity to make the right calls, or do they want you to already know most of the tactical basics that you would get from being in the field?

I am a "no guts, no glory" kind of person. I really think I can make it through SFAS physically because I have a no quit personality. However, I don't know exactly what the army is looking for experience wise in SFAS. I don't want to wast the Armys time or money if I am not the "right stuff" going in, but being Special Forces has been a dream of mine for a very long time.

My personal theory has always been if you want something bad enough then just do it. If you don't think you are ready, take other avenues to get your confidence and skillsets where they need to be. While having the right mentality is extremely important, it's not the only thing that will get your through any type of SOF selection.

Ok, sparda and Jeremy - do not expect anything in SFAS, that is, if you make it. Do. that's it, DO. Don't overthink, don't over plan, don't expect answers. Train. LTC Martin wrote the book, it's great. You may never know why you were not selected - it's not all black and white. Quit G-2ing, start preparing. It's not high school, it's not like the rest of society - it is selection to be able to attempt to become something 99.99% of the US population and 99% of the US Army can't, won't or don't want to do. You either have "it" or you don't, the end. That's why it's called "Special" Forces.

Pull your 5th POCs out of your 4th POCs and use the sense you were given to not expect all the answers.

Go do PT.
Go do your own Research.
Independent thought and action are required.
Self Motivation and intestinal fortitude are required.
A willingness to fail, yes, fail - is required - as long as you pull your sorry ass out of the mud and do it the second time.

STFU - PT, and Move the Fook Out.

oh, yeah - USE THE FRIGGIN SEARCH FUNCTION. Every question you've asked has been asked and answered numerous times. Go army dot com has a lot of this there.

You have the packing list and the initial instructions. all further instructions will be given by the cadre when you report to your next station. Clear?

BTW - if you use the little search thingy on this site and type in "sfas" you will return 97 threads, not posts, threads.

Lazy asses.

Oh, if you think I'm mean right now, you ain't seen nothing - this is a verbal backrub in Combat Arms and SF.

sparda - change your user title to something without SF in it, you are not even in the Army, much less in SF.

Oh, if you think I'm mean right now, you ain't seen nothing - this is a verbal backrub in Combat Arms and SF..[/SIZE]

I don't think your being too mean, just straight up. Which I can respect and thank you for and everyone else who has given any answer at all.

sparda - change your user title to something without SF in it, you are not even in the Army, much less in SF.

Sorry about that, I didn't think wannabe would be a problem. Since it is I'll change it right now. Please know I mean no disrespect in anyway.

Great answers all. I worked SFAS for 3 years.

SFAS will not teach you anything. It as as it states, Assessment and then Selection, if deemed qualified by the Assessors.

You will ruck/run/suffer for the days you're still at Camp McKall, should you even make it past the PT test.

As you've both already 'volunteered' by taking the ASVAB and achieving high scores, your mentality is already in the right place. As coarse as x sf med's response is, it is also correct. Run/ruck/suck as much as your body will permit prior to taking the SFAS PT test. THAT should be your 25 meter target at this point. Also, put down the ETREX or Garmin or Nuve or whatever electronic navigation contraption you're using to get from A to B to C and get back to paper maps. PT and navigation along with a strong heart are what will help you through your journey.

As car stated, SF is a lifestyle, not just a job. You must be prepared for long deployments in isolated locations where tap water is a privilege, bullets whizzing by your head is normal, and loud explosions nightly are expected.

I have more....but will wait.....for later.

Keep us updated on your progress and never, ever, quit.

Yes thank you everyone for all and any help. I did go to my recruiter again today and decided to go with the option 40 contract. If I do make it through RASP I will defiantly try out for SFAS though, it is still one of my dreams to be one of the few that wear the green beret, but I honestly think I'll have a better chance if I try for Ranger first and see how that goes.

Yes thank you everyone for all and any help. I did go to my recruiter again today and decided to go with the option 40 contract. If I do make it through RASP I will defiantly try out for SFAS though, it is still one of my dreams to be one of the few that wear the green beret, but I honestly think I'll have a better chance if I try for Ranger first and see how that goes.

Whatever color your headgear winds up being, just make sure you deserve to wear it. If you just want a cool hat then go here, http://www.rangerjoes.com/

Best wishes to the both of you, I hope you succeed. Sparda, you might as well go ahead and memorize the Ranger Creed and start living it now in your heart.

You should have gotten a Delta contract (Option 22) with a GT score of 123. You should talk to your recruiter about it, see what he says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back