Police Chief Forbids His Officers From Wearing Uniforms With The Word “POLICE”

Centermass

Ranger
Rest In Peace
Citizen: How do I know you're a police officer and not a security officer?"

Officer: "Please, just take my word on it..." :rolleyes:

The only member of this force who should be forbidden to wear the word "Police" is the chief himself. This is what happens when you forget where you came from, could care less about those affected for political reasons and continuously shine your butt, on that seat you're sitting in, behind that desk of yours.

There are so many fails associated with this policy, I don't know where to even begin.

Idiot.

Bridgeport PD Chief Bans Cops From Having 'POLICE' On Uniforms - Blue Lives Matter

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, we have several uniforms. Two of them have POLICE in reflective letters on the back of the shirt. Our standard winter jacket has our agency name and POLICE across the back of it. Our motorcycle guys...well, there’s no mistaking them for anything but what they are. Our bicycle officers have it plastered all over them. Our outer vest carriers have POLICE in large letters on the back and smaller letters on the front. Even our dogs have POLICE on their collars and their vests, for fuck’s sake.

I can definitely see this becoming a court issue when a defendant says, “I thought he was a guard.” I’ve been in trials where the uniform was displayed on a mannequin to show the jury the officer was clearly a police officer.

Looks like the Chief is going old school.....

"The chief noted that officers are “readily identifiable” by their uniforms, badges, name tags, hats, and police patches, the Post reported."

This is how it was when I got in back in 1989, it probably wasn't until early 2000's when the large POLICE started to show up on patrol shirts and jackets.

I think the new markings are a good thing....not sure why this Chief is pushing the old ways.

He is just getting on the PC Bandwagon. I started in 89 and we had stuff that said POLICE all over it. He is simply appeasing someone. There is absolutely no reason for LEO's to NOT BE immediately recognized by terms like POLICE.

Back