Police Role During an Invasion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drangster

Unverified
This is just something I've been thinking about, among other things, and I'm curious about what y'all's responses are.

Say for instance a country or coalition forces of some type decided to invade the United States. Obviously Martial Law would fall into play and our military would be the primary force to fight the threat. What I'm curious about is what role would our law enforcement play in this scenario?

Obviously the police officers that are weak, out of shape and overall just not worth a shit (we all know they're out there, I work with some at my department too) would lay down their weapons and run. Now we have our high speed officers with a warrior mentality ready to slay some bodies. Would the military and local law enforcement agencies work together to bring the fight to the enemy? Would local SWAT Teams (considering they're highly trained like many of them are) do what they do best, without the "deadly force as a last resort" mentality?

I'm just interested in what y'all believe would happen in a situation like this.

MOD Edit. Poll deleted, adds nothing to the thread and paints LEO rather unkindly.

Last edited by a moderator:
To add further: would local SWAT, rescue divers, etc alter their training to make them more combat-ready? As in train SWAT for more long distance encounters than the typical hostage rescue? Or maybe arm rescue divers or train SWAT to do amphibious operations?

So.... you think all of your stated scenarios would be accomplished - including retraining current LEOS, getting rid of 'non-combat ready' LEOS, and training a new crop of Ranger Ready SWAT COPS for urban combat... who ids going to then tend to the civilian populace and take care of normal LEO functions? Where is your continuity plan?

Yeah... reality sucks, LEOS remain LEOS, doing LEO things in an invasion scenario...

So.... you think all of your stated scenarios would be accomplished - including retraining current LEOS, getting rid of 'non-combat ready' LEOS, and training a new crop of Ranger Ready SWAT COPS for urban combat... who ids going to then tend to the civilian populace and take care of normal LEO functions? Where is your continuity plan?

Yeah... reality sucks, LEOS remain LEOS, doing LEO things in an invasion scenario...

Not necessarily getting rid of the bad LEOs or retraining all of them, I'm suggesting that the bad LEOs would leave on their own out of fear, and that the SWAT Teams would possibly shift their tactics a little bit. I probably worded the retraining portion of my question in a weird way. I'm thinking more of changing their mentalities to a "military mindset," in regards to combat and engaging enemies. I'm thinking like how Kraut said, they'd more than likely serve and protect their jurisdiction still. But obviously they'd do more, right? Would they join the fight in their jurisdictions or would the military tell them to step aside and just stick to policing? Or would they continue doing their jobs, in their jurisdictions, but when the threat comes to their jurisdiction, they'd engage and combat the threat?

If the U.S. military is in such a FUBAR state during an invasion of our homeland, LEO's ain't gonna be able to help change the tide.

But, in normal combat operations in our homeland, think of the mission of the MP's...and you will get an idea. Think, Rear Area Sustainment Operations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back