Preparing for A&S without a pool

I probably need to flutter kick between the scissors

100 percent yes. Whether you are in cammies or not, if you aren’t kicking you are not doing it right. Once you wear fins this will help also because you can only flutter kick with fins. Do not scissor kick with fins.

I've never rotated during the stroke though, I always stayed on my side, even during the streamline

Some people don’t like the corkscrew. When swimming, consider the concept of “swimming down hill”. It important to always try and swim downhill and tuck your chin so that your body stays horizontal and your hips stay on top of the water. I prefer the corkscrew because feel like it helps me keep my hips up and swim “downhill.”

Do you feel like a top arm over hand recovery is beneficial to this stroke?

I don’t know if your instructors will care, but we had to focus staying splashless and stealthy in the water. I do think the over top recovery stroke is the best thing to do. It’s better when your hand comes all the way out of the water, however we would get scolded if we let our hand come out of the water because it splashes and is more obvious to the enemy.

Do you feel like a top arm over hand recovery is beneficial to this stroke?

When I looked at my answer to this today, I think I was confusing.

Yes, overhand recovery stroke is best. They may or may not want you to do your overhand recovery stroke while leaving your hand under the surface of the water. Get comfortable with both.

When I looked at my answer to this today, I think I was confusing.

Yes, overhand recovery stroke is best. They may or may not want you to do your overhand recovery stroke while leaving your hand under the surface of the water. Get comfortable with both.

Understood. I got what you're saying but I'll definitely work on both ways just in case I'm told I'm not allowed to.

Back