Prior Service Marine seeking guidance for SF

There are TIS/TIG limitations for an E-5 trying to goto A&S for MARSOC. I would check those out before you commit to the PS Marine recruiters(they may throw you back into your old MOS for AD first, and that unit may expect a time obligation before letting you goto A&S).

I would also venture to say there'd be zero chance of going to A&S as a Marine Reservist. That hasnt been a thing for awhile. You can always call a MARSOC recruiter and see if that has changed.

First step sounds like getting that RE-code changed. Best of luck.

Thanks. The Marine recruiter I was talking to just told me today that it's not looking good. Too many waivers and the Marine Corps is being too selective now. First I have the RE-3O which even if I turn around will make me accept orders for a 3 year SDA. If I got in I would be an E-5 and would blow the TIG requirements by the time I completed my SDA. I may be able to drop the E-5 but I'm sure that's another waiver. In addition to that I had some depression and hypertension which is documented with the VA so I would need the VA to clear me. Apparently my age is a factor as well (34) and my 9-year Active Duty stint does not count. I have dependents so another waiver there. Then I have a broken time of greater than 5 years...ANOTHER WAVER!

I have my former Battalion CO, Company CO, Ops Chief, and Company Gunny writing me letters of recommendation to submit with my package to turnover my RE-3O. I also have asked my Congressman to write a letter of recommendation to include as well. I only had the one depression incident and never attempted anything so I am working to get the VA Doctors to write a document saying I'm fine. I can change my diet and lower by Blood Pressure and get that documented as well. I can't do anything about my age except pass the physical and kill it on the PFT/CFT which I plan to do. I can't do anything about my broken service either so I just gotta pray it works out. I went over to the Army recruiter and it was a much different story, but I still have waivers.

Maybe Iran does something stupid and the Corps loosens up, but it's not looking good for the Marines for me.

EDIT: There is always a shot and I could still push for it. The recruiter said he could still put me in...I'm thinking about it.

Okay, so this is something that keeps coming up for me and my wife. Without getting into OPSEC can any SF guys share here or PM me with how often you are away from home and maybe a rough duration? I have heard that it is typically 275 days out of the year but I feel like that is blown a little out of proportion. I understand that some of you may feel that I don’t need to worry about op-tempo, but I really don’t think there is any job that I would willingly sign up for that only gives me 3 months with my family a year. How do you guys make it work? I’m not talking about schools or training as much as like a deployment

Back