Medically rejected by AFSW, hoping to get 18X

WaffleHouseFan

Unverified
What's up guys.

After a year of working through AFSW recruiting, I finally got to MEPs. Today, the AF Surgeon General informed my recruiter that I was disqualified for having cancer.. when I was 3 years old. Despite a letter from my pediatrician verifying that I've been perfectly healthy for 24 years since. I spoke to an Army recruiter today who is willing to give my waiver a shot for 18X.

If any Army SF guys are out there, I would love to hear your thoughts on my situation. OR if there is anyone from another non-AF unit who thinks I should apply somewhere.

My humble "SOF resume":

-27 years old, feel like I'm 20

-Walked on to a DIII soccer team despite actual recruits getting cut during tryouts. The seniors convinced the coach to keep me because of my work work ethic and energy. I rode the bench for 4 years and got beat up in practice every day. No regrets.

-I had an internship at NASA JPL but quit early because I realized I hate typing for hours and it conflicted with soccer pre-season. We ended up one goal from the NCAA tourney that year.

-10+ years of coaching at-risk youth sports, mentoring, and teaching english to latino immigrants. I did this while in college after class, on weekends and vacation breaks, instead of partying and chasing girls. (I still made some time for girls, but I got more fulfillment out of community work)

-Graduated with Psychology degree

-Basic professional proficiency in Spanish

-ASVAB 99 (for whatever that's even worth)

Physical stats:

6'3" 200 lbs

9:30 1.5 mile
8:45 500m swim
30:00 1,500m fin CSS
70 push ups
20 pull ups
Rucking 60lbs for miles feels great (haven't timed)
325lb deadlift 3 reps.
Pretty good white belt at BJJ

Despite this brag post, in person I'm actually a super humble, calm, hyper logical guy who takes pride in always putting the team first.

If it's not apparent already, this post is largely me venting my disagreement with the Air Force's decision to cut me today. Appreciate any thoughts and advice.

One more fact - I live in my tacoma by choice because I'm always out doing stuff and rent seems like a waste of money. The gym has better wifi, showers, ect. anyway

Welcome. Internships at NASA/JPL are very hard to get. But you got one. And quit. These men who go the demanding road to 18x never quit. Good luck.
Thank you

To be clear, I quit the internship because they wanted to extend it into my soccer season, and by continuing I would be quitting the team.

I chose to be out in the hot sun running with the boys, rather than stay inside writing research papers.

Thanks for the support everyone.

Update:
I met my Army recruiter today and it went well. He said that they have been currently working on another case like mine, and that he hopes and thinks I'll be approved.

Also, for anyone wondering why I admitted to having cancer at 3-years old; I have a giant surgical scar right across my abs so there is no way I could have avoided questions.

Thanks for the support everyone.

Update:
I met my Army recruiter today and it went well. He said that they have been currently working on another case like mine, and that he hopes and thinks I'll be approved.

Also, for anyone wondering why I admitted to having cancer at 3-years old; I have a giant surgical scar right across my abs so there is no way I could have avoided questions.
Always be upfront and honest. If there is to be a place for you in any SOF component. Having the integrity to admit you have some issues is a great start. Reach out to those here that have offered their assistance. It will guide you in the ways of obtaining your goal.

Small update.

Just over 50 days since my medical waiver was submitted to the Army, still waiting for response.

Been focused on refining my running technique, increasing long distance ruck mileage, and Spanish comprehension.

Somewhat bored at work these days but it is what it is. Still holding onto hope that I'll get approved.

Back