Prior Service Vet/OPT. 40 denied.

RAGE275

Ranger
Verified SOF
SSMP
SOF Mentor
If anyone knows the absolute fastest way to get to battalion please let me know. They turned me down for option 40 because I'm PS. They turned me down for Airborne because when I initially joined the Army I had a waiver for asthma. But I AM going to be a Ranger. I

As the liaison at MEPS suggested, I should; "Contract for PDS Fort Bragg. There when you sign in at Replacement, sign into the 82nd. Tell them you want it, beg for it. I garuntee you as soon as they see your leg ass show up without wings they're going to ship you down to Benning ASAP. And you know the rest, see the 75th Liaison and ask for your seat in RIP"

Most of you have "been there, done that" so I'm hoping maybe someone here has a suggestion as to what I should do. Is the Liaison full of crap? Does that even make sense? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I've been back from MEPS since Friday and have been researching and calling and researching ever since. I go back Monday to contract. With all due respect to everyone here, please give me a "no bullshit" assessment of this. If I have to stick it out in another line unit so be it. I'll 4187 my ass to RIP if I have to. But we all know how needs of the Army works...

Thanks again for any help.

Prior service can't get option 40... which IMO is bullshit. Your only real shot of getting to Regiment fast was the option 4 which is Airborne.

How bad is the asthma? You understand we run a lot and are endurance focused? If the asthma is bad you won't last and I really wouldn't want you to put any of my guys in jeopardy if you have a asthma attack and can't finish the fight... you become a liabilty. I am not knocking you but understand you may do more harm than good.

As for the Bragg question I will let someone else that has been there chime in but I think you must complete Airborne school prior to PCS to Bragg.

Shit, even if he gets to Division as a leg they may not send him to Benning - there are legs running around Division now.....

Roger, I havn't had asthma since I was 6. But my stupid ass told my recruiter about it. I'm 21 almost 22 and havn't had a SINGLE attack since I was 6.

If I'm required Airborne prior to PCS, then technically I wouldn't even have to get option 4 in my contract. I'd be sent anyways. As far as getting orders for RIP I don't think that will be a problem. I've spoken with a SFC A. from RTB and he said that I'd be good to go once I got to Airborne school. The problem is getting there. Thanks for the response though Ranger. And believe you me, the last thing I would want to do is endanger my fellow joes in any way shape or form. If my asthma was an issue I wouldn't even consider RIP.

I've posted this topic on a few other sites as well seeking advice, just as a disclaimer, I don't just want to go to Ranger School, But actually become a part of the Regiment. I know I can go to a unit and then go to Ranger School. That's not what I want. I want my shit. Just throwing that out there.

Shit, even if he gets to Division as a leg they may not send him to Benning - there are legs running around Division now.....

Thats exactly what I'm worried about...

Altitude and Asthma are a bad combo - throw in a ruckmarch after an 18fps descent, and it's a recipe for disaster. Selfish motives might just kill your Team mates...

I hate to tell you this, but sometimes the mind is stronger than the body will allow. Be proud you've served, and are still willing to serve - none of the SOF units can function without support, every soldier counts, you don't have to be a hoo-ah hoo-ah Ranger-Danger, SF, PJ, SEAL super cool extraordinary killer to be an outstanding soldier and a credit to your country. And, Thanks for what you've already done.

rant over.

Just to throw an idea your way... although active duty is being a bitch to you, you could always try going the 18 series route through the guard. Just something to think about.

Just to throw an idea your way... although active duty is being a bitch to you, you could always try going the 18 series route through the guard. Just something to think about.

The only issue is the asthma waiver - that's a tough one to get by for any Combat Arms MOS, Army Docs feel that once you're dignosed with Asthma, you're always going to have it...

It sucks, and the 18 series physicals are the same level as flight physicals, everything shows up.

Roger I'm tracking. As much as it blows to hear that I am certainly level headed enough to understand. Becoming a Ranger is something that I need to do. But I've also never jumped out of airplanes before and am prettysure that takes a toll on your respiratory system. I can PT (80+ pu, 100+ su and a 12:30-13.)with the best of them but again, I've never jumped, rucked 18k, assaulted an airfield, exfiled and sat down to AAR the none-sense either. Aside from actually DOING so are there any asthma stress tests that would verify the possibility of an attack? My previous attack (at age 6) was mild if anything. I've had a total of 4 all allergy induced. I don't know if that makes a difference. (I'm an EMT-B not a doctor)If you know of anything Sir by all means run it by me.

The only issue is the asthma waiver - that's a tough one to get by for any Combat Arms MOS, Army Docs feel that once you're dignosed with Asthma, you're always going to have it...

It sucks, and the 18 series physicals are the same level as flight physicals, everything shows up.

I've already passed a Class 1 Flight. As of last October. PHULES rating 111111.
But my initial inpro, I had PHULES 111111 and they found the waver (approved, but later decided I didnt need) and gave me a 111113 or something like that. It didn't make any sense.

I've thought about it. A friend of mine SGT N K, just passed SFAS with the 19th. It is an option, but I miss AD. I'll definitely read up on the NG SF though. Maybe it would be an option.

All in all, I want to be a Ranger. A Ranger, not an asthma laden, Lowes working broke dick.

I had asthma when I was a kid too. Never said anything to the recruiter. Have never had a problem and never shown up on any physical.
If you want it, chase it bro!

There's no question about me wanting it. I need it. It's in my blood.

But if I don't get the option 4 contract, I'm afraid I'll be NOTA. I'm sure my unruly ass could manage to piss enough people off to send me to RIP. But I want to be there by, say, yesterday.

Going to a Line unit, dicking off for a year and putting in a 4187 would work, but in the meantime I still have to complete BAC. And unless I get sent to an ABN unit, I'm SOL.

I guess untill I fight, scream, argue, bitch, whine and fight till they send me. All in a tactful manor of course.

Have you ever had a Methacholine Challenge Test? That should give some indication if you have a valid diagnosis of asthma. :2c:

Have you ever had a Methacholine Challenge Test? That should give some indication if you have a valid diagnosis of asthma. :2c:

Negative, but Monday I'll call the VA to see if I can get one done. (if they do it there) It won't make a difference weather or not I get the option 4 contract, but If I do actually still have it (doubtfully) then I'll direct my interests another way. I've had PFT's though in the past and have passed them without issue.

Point blank though, I don't have asthma anymore. Havn't since I was 6. I can soldier up like any other joe. But in all of USARECs bull-shittery, It's going to take forever before I can get to battalion. That's fine though, I'll get there eventually.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll be back from MEPS again Monday and will post results here if anyone is at all interested.

Normal PFTs are a good thing! Post us up on the outcomes. I for one am interested!;)
Best of Luck!

I would contact the regimental recruiting team first; if you get a good NCO you may be able to get a para/ line number. What is your MOS, or what MOS are you joining for? If you are going to go through the 11B course at Benning, 75th can talk to the BCT 1st Sgt and have you assigned to regimental HQ. I had a prior service NG buddy, who got to 75th doing just that.

Just call or email them, and see what they can do for you…

Regimental Recruiting Team at commercial (706) 545-5124 75recruit@soc.mil

https://www.infantry.army.mil/75thranger/content/recruiting/RecruitingTriFold.pdf

I'm reclassing to 13F. A few buddies of mine we're FISTers and they loved their job in Battalion. I just emailed them and will be calling again on Monday to see what I can do. Thanks much

Awesome news, as it turns out the only thing I need to do (and did) was take a contract for my reclass (13F, I'm an 11B now). When I get to Fort Sill, after I INPRO, I need to call a SFC S. and a SFC A.. As soon as I do, they'll send me an email with the 75th Ranger Regiments volunteer forms. I fill them out send them back, they bring me into the Regiment that way. I'll obviously have to go to BAC and RIP, but end result, I'm going to be a Ranger.

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions. I sincerely appreciate the time you've all taken to post on this issue for me. In return I plan to give back to the Regiment, 10 fold what you all have to me. Thanks again.

Back