Prison Inmates Catfished $560,000 from Military Service Members

AWP

SOF Support
I can't wait to take this new block of training in the annual cyberawareness course.

NCIS News

WASHINGTON—Agents from military criminal investigative organizations executed arrest warrants and served summonses today on a sextortion ring for money laundering, extortion and wire fraud targeting military service members.

This is the first phase of Operation Surprise Party, an investigation initiated in January 2017 by Naval Criminal Investigative Service and also worked by the Defense Criminal Investigative Service, Army Criminal Investigation Command and Air Force Office of Special Investigations.

The military law enforcement community was aided by several partners, including the U.S. Attorney's Office, Internal Revenue Service, United States Marshals Service, Department of Energy, South Carolina and North Carolina local agencies, the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division and the South Carolina Department of Corrections.

These online schemes cost 442 service members from the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps from across the United States more than $560,000 in financial loss.

I read this earlier and thought about all the lonely bozos out there on duty across the country. While most guys are out hanging out, married or whatever, there's always a few guys who aren't too lucky with ladies. The number taken and the dollar amount, looks like about one E-2/E-3 paycheck from each 400 guys. There's strip clubs in outside every major base that bring that in every payday weekend...

I read this earlier and thought about all the lonely bozos out there on duty across the country. While most guys are out hanging out, married or whatever, there's always a few guys who aren't too lucky with ladies. The number taken and the dollar amount, looks like about one E-2/E-3 paycheck from each 400 guys. There's strip clubs in outside every major base that bring that in every payday weekend...
The underground economies of base towns would make an interesting case study. Considering how quickly lower enlisted spend their money, it'd be pretty interesting to see how many millions get swindled outta Joe's every payday. Hell, I bet the marriage racket brings in a heck of a lot more than lonely hearts scams. I mean, who doesn't know a guy whose been taken to the cleaners by a dependapotamous slag?

^Yeah that's no bullshit. I've seen personally about 4 young dudes get wrecked by ho's who drained them while they were deployed...Worse than the drug dealers and used car hustlers in my opinion.

Quickest I've ever seen joe get married was approximately 13 days of knowing someone. PFC took leave and brought her back to Hood.

@BlackSmokeRisinG Just to add, it's scary when the women of base towns know more about the UCMJ and spousal rights than the average Joe. Spouses ability to disseminate and gather formation regarding power of attorney, alimony, and benefits, are both scary and impressive.

Back