Question on Pararescue Medical Training.

blackcoffee

Army SF
Verified SOF
Hello folks I hope this is the correct forum to post such a question; however, I was curious about the medical training PJs receive. I have been told that PJs go through your standard National Registration for a Paramedic accreditation in their respective pipeline but what afterwards? How in-depth can their medical training get? Is it by a case-by-case basis where the option of more schooling is available? And if so are there restrictions on which training you can pursue (i.e. dudes at an STS vs. RQS, I know how stingy ACC can be).

Thanks for any and all information.

The NREMT-P cert is just to graduate the pipeline. Guys that are adept adult learners can also graduate the pipeline with the Advanced Tactical Practitioner cert. There are many opportunities for additional/advanced medical training, and it can get quite in-depth.

I have seen guys attain their CCEMT-P, flight paramedic certifications, dive medical tech, etc. The only restrictions on what you can pursue are "bang for the buck", the "this may be cool, but do we REALLY need x course", and time available. If a course is a month long and youre getting a very specific certification out of it, that has to be weighed against what we really need to do the job and how much time you have to focus on only one small aspect of the job, being medicine.

If it passes the "common sense" test, you have the hole in your schedule, and the ability to pass the course, then the sky is the limit.

Just finding the time, though, is a challenge unto itself. It's all this pesky deploying that keeps getting in the way of my additional specialized courses, ya know? 8-)

Back