Question regarding Option 40 and medical waivers

TheUnknown

Unverified
Hey everyone, thank you in advance for any information on this subject!

I am a recent college graduate looking to join the Army on an Option 40 Contract. The ideal plan would be to go to Officer school after basic and then onward to airborne and ranger training. However, I have done a lot of research and can’t really seem to find a clear cut answer to the ability to do airborne and Ranger school, and get an option 40 if you need a medical waiver? I have had a Hydrocele in the past before having it removed, and I know it’s on the list of “medical red flags” so I am curious if that would limit my options? Would a fixed (corrected), non-recurring hydrocele require a medical waiver at all? Again, any and all
Information is extremely appreciated! Thank you!

Medical question aside (I'll leave this one to someone else familiar with that region of the body...
intel.gif
)

Regarding the choice between the Option 40 or OCS, are you looking to serve as an Army Ranger or an officer who attends the Ranger course? You need to choose one or the other as you can't have both right off the bat.

Most officers in the 75th Ranger have the proper credentials, many of whom, were prior enlisted former Rangers of the Regiment who were later commissioned, and those officers who have demonstrated themselves to meet the criteria expected after a few years of experience and apply for it later on.

If you want into the 75th Ranger Regiment, I would suggest obtaining the Option 40, do a few years of solid performance on the enlisted side, and then, apply for OCS.

If you just want airborne and Ranger School, you can normally attend those courses once you are commissioned.

I thought about busting your ball's, but quickly realized that might make you a little testi, so in the interest of not having any build up, I will offer my best advice.

Ask a recruiter about the hydrocele stuff.

If your goal is to be a Ranger, just do the option 40 spend an enlistment there and then do OCS after. You may find a different career field you want to explore after an enlistment in the 75th. One thing it will do for you, is show you what right looks like and shape your military bearing for any future career posting.

Back