Question

Well, I finally got a response from the Air Force historical society, who has put me on the right track to obtain more information and hopefully get a good account of MacArthur's service in the Canadian Air Force. Or lack therof.

Here's what he wrote:

Dear Mr. xxxxxx: Thank you for your email with respect to John D. MacArthur's service in the RCAF.

Unfortunately, we do not hold personnel records at this location. As personnel records are governed by the Access to Information & Privacy Acts, we would suggest that you contact Archives Canada, at the address below, and request a copy of Mr. MacArthur's Record of Service.

Once these records are provided to you, please feel free to contact us again should you require any assistance in deciphering any information contained in the file.

Access to Information & Privacy Division
National Archives of Canada
395Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON K1A ON3
Tel: (613) 947-4090
Fax: (613) 992-9350
email: atipd@lac-bac.gc.ca

When requesting these records you should provide as much information as
you can including his fully name, rank and service number, date and place of birth, and where applicable date and place of death. Where whole files are closed an abbreviated Record of Service may be provided. If Mr. MacArthur was in service in 1917 then he would have been in the Royal Flying Corps, which it was then called. In this case you may also want to contact the British Archives to see if they have any information, since he may have joined up in Britain.

Military personnel records are held at MoD personnel Office or the Public Record Office.
http://www.catelogue.pro.gov/ExternalRequest.asp12050.

The Public Record Office address is : Ruskin Avenue, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, England TW9 4DU.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again should you require any further information.

Research Assistant/jmw
Air Force Heritage & History
1 Canadian Air Division
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Tel: (204) 833-2500 ext. 5993
Fax: (204) 833-2512
email: afhist@mts.net

I will definitely bypass the British contact, as I'm sure he didn't travel across the pond just to join the Canadians back in North America.

I'm going to check the book out again and scan the picture of MacArthur in uniform to send as an attachment. He was well known, so a lot of his vital stats such as DOB and place of birth are known.

I'll probably get to it in a few days.

Well, I received a lengthy reply from Nancy Kriplen, author of the bio, and I must say she was very gracious in her response. She remarks on the "irate" tone of my initial inquiry, I'll print both my email and her response and let you all judge for yourselves. I might have been a little strident, but irate? Me? Never. :D

Pay close attention to the last part of the 4th paragraph in her email, which I will highlight. Seems pretty self explanatory to me, and merits further research, in my opinion. It sounds more like he washed out of flight training.

Either way, I will thank her for responding, especially in such detail. Not many authors would have taken the time to do so.

Here are both emails, in their entirety:

Dear Ms. Kriplen

I have just read your book on Chicago businessman John D. MacCarthur, and would like to know what sort of documentation you have to support the claim that MacCarthur was a Canadian Air Force instructor pilot during WWI, as well as the claim that his nephew Bill Bishop served on as a WWII UDT Frogman on the beaches of Okinawa, at least when he wasn't busy with his other job as an actor in a special services unit.

As stated in your book, MacCarthur left the US Navy after only 5 months of service due to incompatibility and his aversion to taking orders. You state that he had connections to get into the Canadian Air Force, but that still wouldn't mitigate his failure to adapt to military service. If he had problems in the Navy as a seaman, I can assure you he would have had even more problems in the Canadian Air Force. Serving in any military branch requires the same attributes. If he didn't display them in the Navy, I doubt he was up to snuff for service in Canada, in any capacity. Coupled with conflicting reports in your book of his claims over the years of having stowed away on a transport to Europe and engaging in combat in a Sopwith Camel, I have a hard time believing what was reported in your book.

Which brings me to the brief mention of MacCarthur's nephew, Bill Bishop. In your book, you assert that Bishop was tracked down by one of his cousins who was serving in an IBM unit, and that Bishop had secured the Beachhead at Okinawa as a member of an Underwater Demolition Team (you don't specifically mention UDT, but you reference Bishop having served as a Frogman, a common appelation for anybody serving on UDT). You then state that Bishop performed shows as an actor with a special services troupe. I don't buy it, and would like to know how you documented this information. If the veracity of MacCarthur and Bishop's military service can be called into question, and I believe it can, then that calls into question your scholarship on the rest of the book.

The US Navy keeps very good records of every man who has ever completed training in both UDT and as modern day SEALs. I currently am in contact with some retired individuals who have access to these records to ascertain whether or not William Bishop served in that capacity in WWII. A quick check of his IMDB entry has him serving during WWII in the Army.

As for MacCarthur himself, you stated in your book that his service in Canada could be documented. Did you contact the Canadian Air Force for access to their archival records? Again, considering all the conflicting stories of MacCarthur's exploits during WWI, many attributed to the man himself, the only thing that appears to have solid documentation is his brief sevice and discharge in the US Navy. Again, much of what you report doesn't pass the smell test. Wearing a uniform with pilot wings does not a pilot make. You would be surprised how many people claim valorous military service who either served in a support capacity, or didn't even serve at all.

Best Regards,

xxxxxx x. xxxxxx

Dear Mr. xxxxxx:

Thanks for writing. Sorry for the delay but I’ve had other commitments and I wanted to give you a thorough answer. (Incidentally, the rather irate tone of your email made me wonder at first if this might be a joke – or are you too young to remember the TV show “xxxxxx’s xxxx”? That fictional xxxxxx’s first name turned out to be xxxxxxx not xxxxxx, however.)

I’m delighted you ask about the documentation on John MacArthur’s wartime service, since I spent an inordinate amount of time (and money) trying to make sense of John’s different stories about WW I. Bill Bishop is a different case, and you may be partially right on that one, but back to John first.

After several attempts to find MacArthur’s records in Canada , I was told by the Canadian Genealogy Centre of the Library and Archives Canada that all Royal Flying Corps records are housed at the National Archives in England , regardless of an individual’s nationality or place of training. As you know, I’m sure, the RFC became part of the RAF 1 April 1918. I then hired a researcher in London who specialized in military and historical searches, including at the UK National Archives. After several searches through microfilm records he was finally able to locate John Donald MacArthur in AIR 76/312 RAF officers’ records of service -- home address Oak Park, Illinois, person to be notified of casualty, Telfer, brother --.obviously the right John (though his birth year is off by two years, just as it is in his U.S. Navy records).

I received in the mail from London photo copies of two large ledger pages, headed by John’s name, but containing very little information. MacArthur was listed as being in the 43 Wing of the RFC, “Can 152602.” In the column “Outgoing Authority,” an entry “Rec’d & Deps (?) O” dated 9-9-18 (9 Sept 18) states “No longer physically fit for Air Service, 4-9-18 (4 Sept. 18).

On the second ledger sheet in the column “Special Qualifications” is the notation “Since joining RFC, flown Curtis [sic] JN 4.” The Curtiss JN 4, as you undoubtedly know, was a trainer. At the bottom of the sheet under “Occupation in Civil Life,” John’s abbreviated U.S. Navy service is listed, along with the claim that he had spent two years at “ Wilson Military Academy ” in Nyack , N.Y. Wilson was a religious boarding school, not a military academy. But then that’s John.

On the other hand, pieces of John’s story jibe with details elsewhere. For instance, the historical website about Canada’s Camp Borden talks about some of the same things John would talk about – the briefness of training, high number of crashes, etc. (http://www.forceaerienne.forces.gc.ca/16wing/heritage/hist1_e.asp). Of course, though it seems likely, there is no proof that John was stationed at Camp Borden , and my query to the minders of that website was never answered. The Croix de guerre, according to Wikipedia (which I somewhat reluctantly cite as a source) “remains one of the most difficult foreign awards to verify … and rarely [was] entered into a permanent service record.”

“I was real proud of the Royal Flying Corps when it was small and exclusive. After they consolidated with the Royal Naval Air Force it wasn’t so good,” John wrote in a letter in 1970. In fact, the RNAS and the RFC were “amalgamated.” Though some parts of John’s rather wild stories might have grains of truth in them, I carefully distinguished for readers the pieces for which I could actually find official documentation (see endnotes for pages 40 and 41 on page 187).

Now, about Bill Bishop. My information came from the transcript of an interview Bishop’s first cousin Sandy MacArthur had with John Taylor, whom I identify in the Acknowledgments to The Eccentric Billionaire. Said Sandy in the interview, “…when I saw him [Bishop] in Okinawa , he was a frogman in the Army. But I think he was in Special Services and his main role in the Special Services was [as] an actor and they went around and entertained the troops and so forth, but unless anyone gets the idea the Special Services were just in the entertainment business he also went ashore in the invasion of Okinawa two days before any of the troops did and swept all the mines and cleared the beachheads at night. The frogmen were the first men on Okinawa before the invasion and I think they did the same at Normandy .”

Bill Bishop had no children but I recently talked to his sister-in-law. She says she and her husband were visiting Bishop in California when he was drafted and that he had already signed a Hollywood movie contract. It would make sense, then, that he would have been in Special Services, performing in shows for the troops. All that the Motion Picture Academy’s Library had on Bishop’s WWII service was that he was in the Signal Corps (obituary, studio directory), of which Special Services was a division.

However, I just talked to the librarian at the national headquarters of the American Legion who said in the early days (such as the early 1940s) the UDT sometimes trained personnel from the Army as well as from the Navy. The website of the Navy UDT- SEAL Museum confirms this. The book written by the official historians attached to the army on Okinawa might shed some light on what units were on Okinawa “two days ahead” and cleared the beaches. The title is, The War in the Pacific – Okinawa: The Last Battle (LOC 49-4572, 1948), part of the series The United States Army in WW II. Possibly you might wish to continue to research this. Did your contacts (who, you said, had access to records of everyone who received UDT training) find a mention of Bishop?

The definite answer could be in Bishop’s official U.S. Army records, and though I, of course, applied for and eventually received John MacArthur’s U.S. Navy records, it never occurred to me to check Bill Bishop’s Army records. From earlier projects I know this can be exceedingly time consuming and difficult, particularly since there are great bodies of individual Army records from that period which were destroyed in a fire in a St. Louis storage warehouse.

I have recently made contact with another of the MacArthur cousins. He would have been of an age to be impressed by an older cousin’s wartime daring-do, so maybe he will have some memory of this. If I can find the time, I may go ahead and start the procedure to get Bishop’s official Army records. This is interesting, but, alas, I am working against deadlines for new projects.

Yours truly,

Nancy Kriplen

So you're young, irate and doing this for a joke. ;)

I don't see how she did thorough research on her part. She used open source information to verify his BS claims; which he himself could have used to make up his story in the first place. As for the Croix de Guerre, which one is he claiming to have received and it's actually called the Légion d'Honneur? From France or Belgium? This could have helped in her research instead of relying on fucking wikipedia.

Here is the link for the French Musée de la Légion d'Honneur. There is contact info there and you should be able to see if the jackass was awarded one. :D

Even by her wonderful source of wiki, his name is not cited as a recipient of the Legion d'Honneur.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Légion_d'honneur_recipients_by_name_-_M

As the highlighted part of her email shows, he was no longer physically fit for Air Service as of September 4, 1918. That raises more questions than it answers. Did he earn his wings and then injure himself? Did they discover, as the Navy did, that he simply wasn't fit for military service and wash him out?

I see nothing on there about him being an IP, and unless he was a pretty good pilot, I doubt they would entrust him to train other young pilots.

I still ain't buying it.

Total service time of 5 months, if you include training time and the time involved with declaring him unfit I seriously doubt he did anything of note if he did anything at all.

I call BS on the whole shabang, well played Paddle you irate individual you! :D

Total service time of 5 months, if you include training time and the time involved with declaring him unfit I seriously doubt he did anything of note if he did anything at all.

I call BS on the whole shabang, well played Paddle you irate individual you! :D

The 5 months in question was his time in service in the US Navy, which separated him after determining he had some serious issues. Here is what the author, Ms. Kriplen, said of it in her book:

But regimented service life was not for John. In early October 1917, a medical officer recommended that he be discharged, diagnosing his condition as "dementia praecox", the disorder that later would be called schizophrenia. "His conduct is bizarre," stated the medical officer's report. "He is impulsive and not reliable. He is indifferent to orders and he is emotionally unstable. Ambivalence and evasiveness are pronounced. He is erratic, seclusive, shut-in, and probably he is delusional. This condition existed prior to enlistment." Possibly. Or was this John, fed up with taking orders, pretending to be unsuited for military life, in some "bizarre" foreshadowing of the character Corporal Klinger in the television show M*A*S*H two wars later?

Would an individual who was deemed "impulsive and not reliable" be able to handle the rigors of service in the Air Corps, which would require just the opposite traits? I really don't think so, the assertion that MacArthur was just getting over on the Navy intentionally notwithstanding.

The fact that his records from Canada have him being declared unfit also raises some questions. How long had he been in when he was separated? Did he actually earn his wings? Was he an IP as stated in the book, or was that just another dodge to deflect the reality of his service?

In two separate services, in two countries, he was deemed unfit for service. I see a pattern here, whereas Ms. Kriplen just dismisses it all as "John being John". :rolleyes:

That said, it is an interesting book, I'm sure that she had some good info to go off of, just not his military record. They say all great fortunes are predicated on a crime, and MacArthur was certainly a shady character in the way he did business. Very shrewd and ruthless. He appears to have exhibited many of the traits that we associate with a sociopath.

The 5 months in question was his time in service in the US Navy, which separated him after determining he had some serious issues. Here is what the author, Ms. Kriplen, said of it in her book:

As you know, I’m sure, the RFC became part of the RAF 1 April 1918. I then hired a researcher in London who specialized in military and historical searches, including at the UK National Archives. After several searches through microfilm records he was finally able to locate John Donald MacArthur in AIR 76/312 RAF officers’ records of service -- home address Oak Park, Illinois, person to be notified of casualty, Telfer, brother --.obviously the right John (though his birth year is off by two years, just as it is in his U.S. Navy records).
I received in the mail from London photo copies of two large ledger pages, headed by John’s name, but containing very little information. MacArthur was listed as being in the 43 Wing of the RFC, “Can 152602.” In the column “Outgoing Authority,” an entry “Rec’d & Deps (?) O” dated 9-9-18 (9 Sept 18) states “No longer physically fit for Air Service,4-9-18 (4 Sep18) .

My mistake, I originally read his enlistment date into the RFC as April 1st 1918 making total service time 5 months.

I'm left wondering how long he served in the RFC/RAF before he was discharged, that would/could be a big clue as to his conduct/compendency.

Would an individual who was deemed "impulsive and not reliable" be able to handle the rigors of service in the Air Corps, which would require just the opposite traits? I really don't think so, the assertion that MacArthur was just getting over on the Navy intentionally notwithstanding.

The fact that his records from Canada have him being declared unfit also raises some questions. How long had he been in when he was separated? Did he actually earn his wings? Was he an IP as stated in the book, or was that just another dodge to deflect the reality of his service?

In two separate services, in two countries, he was deemed unfit for service. I see a pattern here, whereas Ms. Kriplen just dismisses it all as "John being John". :rolleyes:

That said, it is an interesting book, I'm sure that she had some good info to go off of, just not his military record. They say all great fortunes are predicated on a crime, and MacArthur was certainly a shady character in the way he did business. Very shrewd and ruthless. He appears to have exhibited many of the traits that we associate with a sociopath.

I'd like to know exactly when he signed on with the Canadians. His Navy records show that he was dismissed in October of 1917, and I doubt he immediately rushed right up to Canada.

It just doesn't sound like he spent much time in their Air Force, certainly not enough time to become an IP. I'm going to have somebody from that historical section review his records for an interpretation.

Again, he was twice deemed unfit. That says it all right there, but I'd like to know more specifics about his time up there, not just that he signed up and was eventually dismissed due to a deficiency of one sort or another.

When you think about it, he probably didn't spend much more than 5-7 months in Canada, if that. It would depend on when he got up there, but she didn't share that info with me.

Back