question

koolaidmann008

Ohhh yeahhhh
Unverified
Hi, I've been looking into pararescue for a very long time now and my heart, mind and soul is set on becoming a PJ. My problem is that I have mild color blindness, or in other words some colors stick out more and some less to me, than to people with normal color vision. I've seen that the vision requirement to become a PJ is you must have "normal color vision" and pass a class III flight physical. If someone who has gone through that testing could explain what that really consists of, that would be of great help. Thank you very much for your time.

Don't know the testing, but I went in with friend who was a little colorblind...no go. He's a Ranger now, and loving it. But if you like medicine that much, i'd start opening my mind to 18D, or SEAL Corpsman (That is, if they allow for it.)

The day I was shipping, I remember another Enlistee (just going to MEPS) had the same problem and my recruiter told him that if he failed at MEPS to go ahead and enlist, then he could go to a local eye doctor for a more in depth test (the kind that uses lights instead of pictures, which is apparently easier to pass for those with only a mild color blindness.) And if he passed that test he could go back to MEPS and they would take the pass from the local doctor. I don't know how it worked out as I was shipping that day, but It's something worth asking about. On the other hand I'm not sure that MEPS would take the word of another doctor over their doctors. Really depends on how the planets are aligned that day me thinks..

They only eye related waiver i've EVER seen go through was for PRK. I will bump what Invisible J said as well. Don't go off of speculation and hearsay...i'm sure if you dig hard and deep enough you'll know more than anyone about getting waived in.
good luck

They use Ishihara Color Plates with different color combos like this to test color blindness at MEPS. You just have to read off the numbers fairly quickly If that helps at all.
ishihara_color_test_5.gif

yeah that's exactly what I can't pass. I can though usually see the number but not clear enough to get it right. For the one you just posted I'm guessing 91? Probably wrong but that's the my whole point on if they'll let me become a PJ. Thank you for the advice Frisco and JustAnotherJ, i'll keep digging. Thanks!

(btw is it 91?)

Don't know the testing, but I went in with friend who was a little colorblind...no go. He's a Ranger now, and loving it. But if you like medicine that much, i'd start opening my mind to 18D, or SEAL Corpsman (That is, if they allow for it.)
Im in the process of enlisting and I'm really trying to get either 18x (special forces) or an option 40 for 11b (Ranger) i qualify for both on all the requirements except that I'm partially colorblind so i've been told that i cant get the contract. how'd your friend get into the ranger regiment? can you give me any tips?

Im in the process of enlisting and I'm really trying to get either 18x (Special Forces) or an option 40 for 11b (Ranger) i qualify for both on all the requirements except that I'm partially colorblind so i've been told that i cant get the contract. how'd your friend get into the Ranger regiment? can you give me any tips?

Per the Site Rules, post an Introduction before posting again.

Im in the process of enlisting and I'm really trying to get either 18x (Special Forces) or an option 40 for 11b (Ranger) i qualify for both on all the requirements except that I'm partially colorblind so i've been told that i cant get the contract. how'd your friend get into the Ranger regiment? can you give me any tips?
I honestly don't know how he got in with the Rangers. I can't ask him either...RIP. But if there's a way, you can find it. Best if luck.

My friend has a 68 Whiskey contract for the Army and is colorblind. The reason I bring this up is because he got denied an 18x contract for it. He was told he could put in a packet for the 160th SOAR and go to the SOCOM medical course. I don't know how accurate that is but if it is true, there's a choice as well. Good Luck

Navy Specwar is also a no go for you. You must pass your color and clarity test to even be considered for the programs which would make you ineligible for a contract. I work at MEPs on a daily basis and see this DQ guys all the time.

Back