Questions about enlisting and CCT

europam

Unverified
Hello all, I have a few questions that I hope you can answer for me. I'm a near high school graduate looking for a career in the Air Force, with my ultimate goal,becoming an SOT. My knowledge on all this is very limited,but,I do plan on gathering as much information as possible, as soon as possible, which is why I'm asking these questions.
My first question is, should I enlist with a degree or without one, or become an officer? As I see it enlisting would give me some good, and much needed experience as the career path I am looking towards is challenging but with experience it is very do-able. That being said enlisting seems like a good idea. If I do enlist I'd plan on being a CCT, then becoming an officer down the line in order to become an STO,but then comes the dilemma of degree or no degree, and if yes to a degree what major/degree would be most desirable for this career path? And the other dilemma is enlist or officer, as I'd like to be able to live comfortably, since I plan on living with others off base, but I could change that (anything to get the job). My third question is are there any other special things I should do to give me an advantage on furthering my career,in this path, by this I mean community service and things of that nature in order to give my resume a good push.
I'm well motivated and I know I'm more than capable of successfully pursuing this career, but any input or advice on these topics would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I'm a little out of my lane, but you are asking a lot of general questions. If you want to get in right out of high school, see a recruiter and go enlisted.

If you want to be an officer, you will need a four year college undergraduate degree in something. With the number of questions you are having, I'd suggest going the college route, the degree opens more doors for you; in and out of the military. Your third question may answer itself once you are onboard with the USAF.

So....go to college and get an undergrad degree. While you are doing that use the time to learn more about USAF career paths. Start talking with recruiters while you are chasing down your undergrad degree.

As for CCT: U.S. Air Force.

Best of luck.

Enlisted v. Officer is apples and oranges. Prior enlisted officers, in my experience, fall into two categories: rock stars and utter shit.

Do you want to go to the MFF JM course or joint load planning? (This is something of a euphemism) Statistically speaking one group goes to one and one to the other. NCO vs. O are different worlds. Prior enlisted back into the community is not an easy row to hoe nor is enlisted success a guaranteed shot at the commissioned officer level.

Enlisted v. Officer is apples and oranges. Prior enlisted officers, in my experience, fall into two categories: rock stars and utter shit.

Do you want to go to the MFF JM course or joint load planning? (This is something of a euphemism) Statistically speaking one group goes to one and one to the other. NCO vs. O are different worlds. Prior enlisted back into the community is not an easy row to hoe nor is enlisted success a guaranteed shot at the commissioned officer level.
Well, if I'd want to go to MFF JM courses, what route should I shoot for? I'm also thinking of getting a degree while enlisted in the AF, since that's offered, but, I need to focus first on becoming a CCT to get some good experience and maybe, become an officer later on with that degree I worked on while enlisted. I've realized I have a lot to learn though and talking to a recruiter would probably answer most of my questions.

I'm a little out of my lane, but you are asking a lot of general questions. If you want to get in right out of high school, see a recruiter and go enlisted.

If you want to be an officer, you will need a four year college undergraduate degree in something. With the number of questions you are having, I'd suggest going the college route, the degree opens more doors for you; in and out of the military. Your third question may answer itself once you are onboard with the USAF.

So....go to college and get an undergrad degree. While you are doing that use the time to learn more about USAF career paths. Start talking with recruiters while you are chasing down your undergrad degree.

As for CCT: U.S. Air Force.

Best of luck.
Definitely, talking to a recruiter would help me out a bunch, thank you for your input much appreciated.

Going from CCT to STO is not as simple as putting in a packet after being a CCT for a few years. It is a separate selection process. There have been CCTs with Silver Stars who showed up to STO selection and were denied.

Going from CCT to STO is not as simple as putting in a packet after being a CCT for a few years. It is a separate selection process. There have been CCTs with Silver Stars who showed up to STO selection and were denied.
You need to be a rock solid operator, I have a friend who just went CCT to STO, and I can tell you his admin skills are as sharp as his tactical skills.

Back