Questions

I just posted on the introductions thread, but am curious when some of you other hopefuls may be attending BRC or A&S. I am slated to participate in A&S in April. If you are slated for the same time frame shoot me a message. I would love to talk with you and possibly do some training sessions together!

Good morning sir,

(I highlighted my question in RED to save everyone some time.)
I am leaving for Camp Pendleton to attend Infantry Training Battalion in a few days, therefore in about a month I will be checking into the Recon Training Company (I enlisted with an HZ contract).

I have a naive question about boots.
Would it be a good idea to buy a pair of Danners before I head over to Marines Awaiting Recon Training?

I have done a lot of research on this website and noticed many Marines suggested them,
but I have been told by many fleet Marines that my Boot Camp issued boots will last me my entire enlistment.

This question is not dire so I understand if it receives no response, I just thought I might take advantage of the opportunities given to me through this website.

I just posted on the introductions thread, but am curious when some of you other hopefuls may be attending BRC or A&S. I am slated to participate in A&S in April. If you are slated for the same time frame shoot me a message. I would love to talk with you and possibly do some training sessions together!
What’s up brother, A&S in April this year for the class and I had beautiful weather, I’m sure it will be the same for you.

Good morning sir,

I am leaving for Camp Pendleton to attend Infantry Training Battalion in a few days, therefore in about a month I will be checking into the Recon Training Company (I enlisted with an HZ contract).

Would it be a good idea to buy a pair of Danners before I head over to Marines Awaiting Recon Training?

I have done a lot of research on this website and noticed many Marines suggested them,
but I have been told by many fleet Marines that my Boot Camp issued boots will last me my entire enlistment.

This question is not dire so I understand if it receives no response, I just thought I might take advantage of the opportunities given to me through this website.

I honestly don’t know what kind of boots they issue at boot camp now. I still have the same pair of danners I bought in 2004. I sent them back to Danner to be refurbished a few years ago.

I honestly don’t know what kind of boots they issue at boot camp now. I still have the same pair of danners I bought in 2004. I sent them back to Danner to be refurbished a few years ago.
I had no idea a pair of boots could last for 14 years, especially in your line of work.
Sounds like I need to purchase a pair of Danners soon, thank you for the advice, sir.

I had no idea a pair of boots could last for 14 years, especially in your line of work.
Sounds like I need to purchase a pair of Danners soon, thank you for the advice, sir.

They survived four combat deployments and a couple other trips to other continents. They are good boots.

Danner will refurbish your boots if you send them in. For a fee of course. They basically replaced the entire sole and foot bed for me.

They survived four combat deployments and a couple other trips to other continents. They are good boots.

Danner will refurbish your boots if you send them in. For a fee of course. They basically replaced the entire sole and foot bed for me.
That is priority number one for me now, thank you, sir.

Good morning sir,

My recommendation would be to do it. Begin wearing the boots when you train or to walk around — the sooner that you can get the boots broken in the better. You will be on your feet a lot at BRC, and the last thing you will want is blisters. Good luck and keep your mind focused on the end state.

Also, I am not sure what boots they will be issuing you at boot camp, but Danners are quality. I wouldn't plan on one pair of boots lasting you an enlistment with the amount of training you will be undertaking. Having a couple of pairs is good.

They have a pretty solid sale going on right now 25% off store wide and 65% on ending runs. Picked up a new pair of hiking boots while it's going on.
Unfortunately, it seems that Danner is fulfilling a contract with the US Armed Forces, so their USMC boots are unavailable online. (I'm guessing I can grab a pair at the Marine Corps Exchange, though.) Thank you for helping though.

My recommendation would be to do it. Begin wearing the boots when you train or to walk around — the sooner that you can get the boots broken in the better. You will be on your feet a lot at BRC, and the last thing you will want is blisters. Good luck and keep your mind focused on the end state.

Also, I am not sure what boots they will be issuing you at boot camp, but Danners are quality. I wouldn't plan on one pair of boots lasting you an enlistment with the amount of training you will be undertaking. Having a couple of pairs is good.
I will put your advice into action as soon as possible, thank you sir.

@Teufel Sir if you don’t mind me sharing, to @SwimRunLift whatever you do don’t get Bates lites for what you will be attempting. No experience in the Recon field but the time I got to wet my feet at Selection, the boots I mentioned were destroyed. As you stated get a pair from the MCX. Best of luck in the pipeline.

@Teufel Sir if you don’t mind me sharing, to @SwimRunLift whatever you do don’t get Bates lites for what you will be attempting. No experience in the Recon field but the time I got to wet my feet at Selection, the boots I mentioned were destroyed. As you stated get a pair from the MCX. Best of luck in the pipeline.

I wear my bates lites for the CFT and occasionally in garrison. That’s about it.

I would say Danner are up there in the best made boot anywhere.. Meindl are another great boot.

To each his own, I reckon. I wore my Lites through A&S and extensive follow on field work. Beware in the winter, they won’t keep you warm at all, but by golly they’re soft as butter. Only exception: O-course. You will slip and die.

Though they feel like they are 40 pounds per boot, can’t go wrong with Danner RATs in the treeline.

Last edited:
Gentlemen,

@Teufel First, thank you for getting this thread setup and to everyone for the continuous information provided and shared on this forum!

I am curious if anyone has had or has seen any recent success for reservists submitting packages for A&S as the last MARADMIN I can find is 427/15. I have searched this forum and the most relevant thread seems to be from 2017.

I ask this as I am currently working to put together a package to re-enlist into the reserves as I am currently off-contract. Reserve to A&S and if selected back to AD seems to be the most optimal route, as well as keeping a plan b in tact of holding down my current job. Additionally, to the best of my knowledge my other route would be PSEP and hoping the first command I land at allows me to submit a package up once I arrive. PSEP would currently be a non-starter for me due to a compromise my Wife and I made.

Thanks in advance for any additional light that could be shed on this.

Good afternoon,

I have a couple questions regarding UZ Recon contract as follows:

- Is a UZ contracted recommended?
- Should I be concerned about losing some physical performance at boot camp before BRPC?
- What was the top three things you did prior to BRPC that you felt helped you succeed?
- Best pool PT tips you can give

Cheers

-Robert

Back