Quick Course in Mil Dot Ranging

Still can't get the hang of it...

You need a constant....

For example you know that an average size of a man is 1.82m. Using the worm rule: 1 mil in the scope equals 1 meter on the ground at 1000m.
You multiply the size of the man 1.82 meters by 1000, and then divide it by how many mils you count in the scope.

so if you look at your scope and you see 3.6 mils... The equasion is as follows:
1.82 x 1000 divided by 3.6 equals 506m. So you know your range is 500 meters.

If you can only see a mans head, then the average height of his head is .25 meters. You simply swap it as your constant. so instead of 1.82, you use .25.

Hopefully this helps, PM for further info.

You need a constant....

For example you know that an average size of a man is 1.82m. Using the worm rule: 1 mil in the scope equals 1 meter on the ground at 1000m.
You multiply the size of the man 1.82 meters by 1000, and then divide it by how many mils you count in the scope.

so if you look at your scope and you see 3.6 mils... The equasion is as follows:

If you can only see a mans head, then the average height of his head is .25 meters. You simply swap it as your constant. so instead of 1.82, you use .25.

Hopefully this helps, PM for further info.

ah Sniper knowledge ... been so long I can't remember..we use the sniper phone no...mils on the scope represent ranges..don't ask coz i can't remember...

This helped a lot !

Just wanted to bring this back for anyone interested. I used this program to help in my prep for school. It made NO sense as reading the mil formula makes no sense to me until I applied it.
Overall id say its a good program, and I use it to test myself when bored, or on days where we cant get to a range- ie "admin" days. throw it on the projector and test the guys.

Back