Quick Update + Advice on Next Step

Jae1297

Marine
Verified Military
Hello to All!

So that "Deployment" (if you know , you know) turned in a simple UDP (wooooo). I'm an 0311 and 22 years old now ,we've been back for a while and I have around a year and a half left in the marine corps. I'm currently enrolled at GMU and have attained 10 college credits so far. The end of this year I will obtain my associated and next year I will obtain my bachelors. The advice which I'm desperate for is what to do in my next step as a warrior. I really want to evolve as a warrior and have been pushing my body really hard (ran a half marathon , a tough mudder, and am currently shooting for the marine corps marathon). I can go further into my physically capabilities if you wish. I have noticed as things overseas are starting to phase out, violence and terrorism in America hasn't. I'm debating between FBI HRT, CIA GRS or Army SF (I'm fluent in Spanish and French aswell) . I have noticed that the conventional marine corps is changing a lot and its very inconsistent. Our chain of command is one of the worst on our base and is terrible at passing word, plus the marine corps barley has a budget. Hence why I will finish my service honorably here and move on to better things. I will always be proud of being a United States Marine and to have served in the Marine Corps but I want to go an organization with the money and skills , instead of being just a grunt. So if you were in my shoes, which path would you take?

P.S: I'm not here to bad mouth the Marine Corps or insult any Marines out there, as I understand this may become a shock to some. I simply aspire to work with better people and become a more evolved warrior. Thanks!

If you have aspirations to join the FBI or CIA, I recommend you try for Army SF and do that a while. If you like it but want to move on, you can switch to the Guard and apply for the FBI or CIA and work it full time while also being Guard SF. I have a few friends who are doing that now.

Thanks for the reply, I definitely take your advice into consideration.

I intend on getting that degree and will update everyone who cares. Aswell as seeking more knowledge from you all my mentors and idols whom I aspire to be.

The FBI requires that you do time in a field office as a Special Agent before you attempt selection for HRT. Even those who are hired directly into the HRT recruitment program e.g. SOF/SMU vets have to go through that process; they're just guaranteed a chance to attend selection.

Keep that in mind as you consider future careers.

If you have aspirations to join the FBI or CIA, I recommend you try for Army SF and do that a while. If you like it but want to move on, you can switch to the Guard and apply for the FBI or CIA and work it full time while also being Guard SF. I have a few friends who are doing that now.

I had a similar idea here that could use your advice @DZ

Post in thread 'Law school or 18x'
Law school or 18x

There are Marine Corps units with the budget and training you're seeking. The grass may not always be greener on the other side of the fence and sometimes it's good to sow the fields on your side.

Have you considered recon or Marsoc? What about lat moving out of 0311 to an 0211? There's also going officer and becoming a JTAC, which are considerably undermanned in the Corps.

The FBI requires that you do time in a field office as a Special Agent before you attempt selection for HRT. Even those who are hired directly into the HRT recruitment program e.g. SOF/SMU vets have to go through that process; they're just guaranteed a chance to attend selection.

Keep that in mind as you consider future careers.

Yes, and many of those FBI agents also have at least bachelor degrees, many of whom have graduate degrees.

There are Marine Corps units with the budget and training you're seeking. The grass may not always be greener on the other side of the fence and sometimes it's good to sow the fields on your side.

Have you considered recon or Marsoc? What about lat moving out of 0311 to an 0211? There's also going officer and becoming a JTAC, which are considerably undermanned in the Corps.
Hello,

I have thought about MARSOC specifically . I'm completely aware that to get into any special operations unit will require a very high physical demand and am willing to put the work in. The only thing holding me back from applying is the changes the Marine Corps is making. I've heard the commandant wants to dismantling MARSOC in order to the satisfy his vision of making a smaller, mobile Marine Corps (similar to the MOS he cut last year and the ones he is going to cut in the future). I just want to make sure that if I'm going to dedicate this next year as preparation to join a SOF unit, its going to be around and isn't going to go away.

Yes, and many of those FBI agents also have at least bachelor degrees, many of whom have graduate degrees.
Yep...not to mention a lot of time in service and connections that put them ahead of most -- even those coming in through special programs.

MARSOC is here now. Period. If you like being a Marine and want to attend A&S and ITC I suggest you do it. Plenty of these guys stay in, plenty transfer to SF, and plenty leverage their experience here to move on to other jobs like the ones you’ve mentioned.

edit: Commandants come and go. MARSOC has proven to be a valuable asset to SOCOM. My 2c.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have thought about MARSOC specifically . I'm completely aware that to get into any special operations unit will require a very high physical demand and am willing to put the work in. The only thing holding me back from applying is the changes the Marine Corps is making. I've heard the commandant wants to dismantling MARSOC in order to the satisfy his vision of making a smaller, mobile Marine Corps (similar to the MOS he cut last year and the ones he is going to cut in the future). I just want to make sure that if I'm going to dedicate this next year as preparation to join a SOF unit, its going to be around and isn't going to go away.
MARSOC is a tax to the Marine Corps. It ultimately belongs to SOCOM not the Marines. I don’t see it going away. CMC may get SOCOM to pony up more money by talking that way though. 4 star games! It’s always easier to go SOF within your branch than transferring to another. Good luck on your journey!

MARSOC is a tax to the Marine Corps. It ultimately belongs to SOCOM not the Marines. I don’t see it going away. CMC may get SOCOM to pony up more money by talking that way though. 4 star games! It’s always easier to go SOF within your branch than transferring to another. Good luck on your journey!
Its really assuring to know this information coming from a Force Recon Marine. I'm gonna train MARSOC know and keep you all updated along the way. This is my final decision.

Hello,

I no longer work for SOCOM and don't talk with my counterparts at MARSOC anymore, but they are here and aren't going anywhere. They did consolidate everyone to Stone Bay which caused some to worry, but if you've been to Stone Bay lately, they've invested too much money to suddenly disappear.

I no longer work for SOCOM and don't talk with my counterparts at MARSOC anymore, but they are here and aren't going anywhere. They did consolidate everyone to Stone Bay which caused some to worry, but if you've been to Stone Bay lately, they've invested too much money to suddenly disappear.

Stone Bay all the way to Snead's Ferry and down to Holly Ridge and Hampstead is now one giant strip mall surrounded by dozens upon dozens of neighborhoods. It ain't because Jacksonville is growing so fast, either. Stone Bay is becoming to MARSOC what Bragg is to SF but on steroids.

Stone Bay all the way to Snead's Ferry and down to Holly Ridge and Hampstead is now one giant strip mall surrounded by dozens upon dozens of neighborhoods. It ain't because Jacksonville is growing so fast, either. Stone Bay is becoming to MARSOC what Southern Pines is to SF but on steroids.

Southern Pines 2.0.

MARSOC will be around. Missions are slow worldwide for everyone.

We're not hunting booger eaters in caves or dirt farmers. The focus is shifting to cyber and space(not in the sense of orbital outer space), great power competition, regional stability through partnered relations and diplomacy, and other things. Technology, particularly in the EMS/communications realm, advances rapidly. It's not like tanks, where we've seen 3-4 generations of upgrades(don't correct me tank nerds, I don't know tanks). So the problem sets we're trying to get after are complex, and are probably not what you and every hopeful A&S attendee dream of coming here to do. If you want to just do non-stop kinetic raids night after night, and play CQB ninja: there's probably a 5% chance you'll get that deployment. If that idea is unattractive to you; I would submit that you should probably research your different SOF units and organizations.

Much like how the national mission force has lessons learned, tries out new TTPs/gear/technology, and transitions them to us; we do the same for the Marine Corps. I could rattle 10 programs of record off the top of my head that we've transitioned to the Marine Corps, and saved them $$$ and shortened their capability development/acquisitions process. Also the retention that MARSOC recruiting does for the Marine Corps should speak for itself. I would argue that most of those A&S attendee's were either A.) Planning on getting out anyway B.) maybe received exposure that humbled themselves, and encouraged humility and change going forward when they returned to their units, and C.) the Marine Corps probably got a few high caliber extensions/reenlistments, even if they didn't cut the cheese at selection.

Don't take it personally, but I would take some time to really figure out where you want to go career-wise, and continue with your college, personal, and professional development. You threw a lot of places and career tracks out there in the beginning, and was easily swayed with @Teufels post. I would pickup a few SOF autobiographies/book, and really see what this job is about.

Back