Rabbi, 52, completes Canadian Forces Basic Officer Training Course

RackMaster

Nasty-Dirty-Canuck
SOF Support
Outstanding! I'm sure Rabbi Danzinger will do the CF a great good and our country proud. I'm not sure how long of a career he'll have but I'm sure what time he does put in, it will be of good use.

I've been noticing a lot more older "young" Officers and Privates lately. I saw a Pte today that looked like he was in his 40's. :uhh:

Rabbi, 52, completes Basic Officer Training Course

Monday, June 16, 2008

Project Number:08-0287

08-0287_m.jpg

Rabbi Danzinger crawls through the low wire entanglement on the confidence course at CFB Borden. Rabbi Danzinger will be the first rabbi to serve with 32 Canadian Brigade Group since the Second World War.

CFB BORDEN, Ontario — Basic training is tough for most people. But it´s even tougher for when someone who has crested the fifty year mark is told to crawl under barbed wire, climb ropes and leap over obstacles.

For one particular candidate on the four-week Basic Officer Training Course at CFB Borden, things have been rather challenging.

Age aside, Lazer Danzinger is no ordinary candidate. He has the distinction of being the first rabbi to serve in 32 Canadian Brigade Group (32 CBG) since the Second World War.

Born and raised in Toronto, Rabbi Danzinger decided that now was the time to make a change in his life.

"I recently got into the chaplaincy career and I thought the Army, the Canadian Forces in particular, would be a great way to express my patriotism and give back to my country."

He is the first Jewish chaplain in the Canadian Forces whose parents survived the Holocaust.

"It´s quite a privilege to have that distinction."

Rabbi Danzinger was ordained a rabbi in Brooklyn, New York, after studies in Toronto and Israel. He has been a computer programmer and a manager but his passion for the chaplaincy brought him back to his calling. He has served as a part-time Jewish chaplain at York Central Hospital in Richmond Hill and for the Correctional Service of Canada.

Rabbi Danzinger is looking forward to the ethnic diversity that will accompany his new post with 25 (Toronto) Service Battalion.

08-0287_1.jpg

Rabbi Danzinger exits one obstacle and prepares to meet the next challenge during training at CFB Borden.

As for his short time in uniform and his initiation to the world of basic training, he said that "it´s been phenomenal, I love to learn, I love a challenge and CFB Borden has provided that."

If you would like to find out more about a career as a chaplain in the Canadian Forces, go to
http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=61

Additional information about the CF chaplaincy can be found at http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/chapgen

Article and photos by Warrant Officer Brad Phillips

Damn.

Good job Rabbi. The only way to tend the flock is to be with them...

Back