.Radio Recon and BRC Prep

Fly By Might Only

Unverified
Good afternoon everyone, first of all thank you for making yourselves available to mentor people like me, hopefully one day I can fill a similar role.

Anyways, I'm a lcpl still in tcom, specifically specializing in sigint and language. In about six months I will be hitting the radio reconnaissance screener platoon. There, I can potentially earn a brc slot, and my present goal is to be good enough to get the slot, as well as have a good chance of passing and excelling at the school.

I'm swimming four to six days a week, trying to fix it as it's my biggest weakness by far. As in two months ago I couldn't swim fifty yards without being winded. I've searched and scoured other forums, shadowspear, and leatherneck but I still don't feel confident enough to develop my own program that will maximize my return on investment. I've spoken to civilian swimmers, but they don't understand or really get the green side style swimming. What can I do to make sure I'm being prudent with my time in the pool? What are the focus areas, especially for excelling in the reconnaissance field? I am now capable of an eleven minute css 500 slick. My treading is weak, I can only tread a brick about thirty seconds. Underwater confidence....leaves a lot to be desired. I can cross over 25m in cammies but its inconsistent and panicky, far from the gleaming image of Zen.

The other point of concern is rucking and ruck running. It's clear that it's very easy to overdo and overtrain this particular aspect of military competency. I feel lazy for not doing it more than three times a week, but I really am trying to be cautious of injury. Once again, what are the smartest ways to train to improve rapidly, and make sure that I am getting good returns on my training?

Thank you for reading.

I will definitely start kicking up the volume of finning that I'm doing. I have some UDT Rocket Fins, but I'm still trying to get my ankles used to them. I'll start bumping up the distance significantly for my swims.

Passing BRC is pretty easy.

I feel like maybe I'm a bit delusional in terms of what the average Marine and their physical capacity is, at BRC. I'm just imagining collegiate water polo players who are running 17:00 3-miles and ruck running 12 miles in an 1:45, and this whole concept is pushing me towards training to the point of breaking myself trying to catch up to them. Is this ridiculous or the painful truth?

I will definitely start kicking up the volume of finning that I'm doing. I have some UDT Rocket Fins, but I'm still trying to get my ankles used to them. I'll start bumping up the distance significantly for my swims.

I feel like maybe I'm a bit delusional in terms of what the average Marine and their physical capacity is, at BRC. I'm just imagining collegiate water polo players who are running 17:00 3-miles and ruck running 12 miles in an 1:45, and this whole concept is pushing me towards training to the point of breaking myself trying to catch up to them. Is this ridiculous or the painful truth?

Actually a lot of Marines aren't that great in the water when they start BRC. They are great at finning while pushing a ruck and at not quitting. Well the ones that pass anyway. Recon Marines come in all shapes and sizes and no one is looking for a triathlete. Just someone who won't quit when things get really hard and you haven't eaten or slept in days.

First of all, kudos to you for not being satisfied with your current situation. Many a Marine has been motivated to improve himself in an effort to escape the mundane. Anyways...I've seen Marines ruck run 12 miles with a 50+ lb. pack and rubber rifle in 1 hour 48 minutes. That's only three minutes slower than your estimate, so good guess. I've also seen Marines take in excess of 3 hours 45 minutes to accomplish the exact same task. Of course they didn't pass, but at least they tried. An above average Marine would probably complete it in 2 and a half hours or faster. Your goal for ruck running should be a pace of 12-13 minutes per mile. This will put you somewhere in the middle of the pack...not the fastest, but not last. Obviously, you won't be satisfied with that pace for long, but it's a start. The closer you can get to maintaining 10-11 minute miles, the better. This will put you in the top 25% of the class, and that's a good place to be. Marines in the top quarter of the class don't get dropped. It doesn't matter whether we're talking BRC or A&S, you will see the same type of Marines at each. You WILL be humbled by what some of them are capable of. If someone beats you in swimming, then you beat them on a run. That's how it works, because no one is great at everything. You should always strive for more speed, more strength, faster times and more reps, but you don't have to be at an olympic level to do well in Reconnaissance. Well-rounded individuals who are smart enough, fast enough and strong enough will always get the job done. How much is enough? Your instructors at BRC will let you know. Just keep pushing, and don't stop unless they tell you to.

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the advice gentlemen. I figure if I just go out and PT my balls off then everything else will sort of follow suit. I hit a PR on a slick Murph yesterday at 31:06, and my swimming endurance has been steadily improving from being in the pool five days a week. Just working on the foundations right now, and as time progresses I'll try my best to specialize my training to get the most return on my time invested. Rucking next on the list for improvement.

Good afternoon,

I'm thankful I found this thread and for the info passed so far. I have recently just re-enlisted and LAT moved as an 0321 hopeful and am now awaiting orders. I am looking for guidance/mentorship into what is ahead of me in these hopeful next 5 years. I am currently a crewchief on 130's. I attended MARSOC A&S, made it through the course, but wasn't selected. Everything for a reason, of course. I will be attending SOI/BRC as a Sgt and am looking for insight to biuld my SA going into this. Any and all guidance is much appreciated.

V/R,

Brandon

Brandon,

Once you get passed SOI, expect to be treated like all the other "Ropers", in my experience at BRC everyone was treated on the same level no matter what rank. That sometimes didn't sit well with some NCO's, others took it in stride and it worked well for them. Try not to let SOI get to you mentally, there will be plenty of those there telling you that you "can't". I came straight out of Boot, to SOI, then MART (which I am not sure is that same thing that it used to be since they changed over to forming a Pre-BRC prep platoon) then got selected to go to BRC, but I worked with a lot of Lat Movers from both Infantry and Non-Infantry MOS's. As far as I could tell they were "hating life" just as much as I was. In fact one of my best friends now was an NCO from an infantry unit with multiple combat deployments who Lat moved, we attended BRC together, got orders to the same Battalion and are currently in the same platoon, so despite our vastly different military experiences we were the same at BRC..."Ropers". Be ready physically, and mentally, it will challenge you no matter what. Keep a good head on your shoulders, be humble, be a good leader and a good follower, be open to new ideas from those around you. and most importantly never EVER say QUIT (or DOR). Embrace the suck, and learn to laugh at yourself sometimes.

Good Luck!

To all posting: If you are active duty, take the few minutes it takes to get vetted. It adds credability to your words.

Thanks for the wisdom Walra. I appreciate it. I kind of expected such after my short 2 months in A&S. I went through as a Cpl and, honestly, liked how rank played a small factor. It allowed a better environment for communication, teaching, learning and needed criticism. I learned alot there from my instructors and peers alike. I am sure SOI/MART/BRC will be no different. Physical fitness is a must to me, but a level head even more so. I've done alot of things, but quitting will never be one. Thanks again.

Back