Rallies held across Canada to protest Afghan mission

RackMaster

Nasty-Dirty-Canuck
SOF Support
These idiots, I wish they would actually educate themselves before they open their mouths. I watched footage of the protests on the news and these young kids sounded like uneducated bafoons that were just doing it for a "show". Nothing they said made any sense at all.

Rallies held across Canada to protest Afghan mission

Last Updated: Saturday, March 15, 2008 | 9:38 PM ET Comments46Recommend61

CBC News

Thousands of protesters rallied in cities across Canada on Saturday to demonstrate against Canada's military role in Afghanistan.
The demonstrations held in 20 communities, including Toronto, Ottawa, Halifax and Montreal, followed this week's vote in the House of Commons to extend the mission by two years to the end of 2011.
anti-war-cal-cp-4520803.jpg

Calgary residents opposed to Canada's military role in Afghanistan protested on Saturday. Similar demonstrations were held across the country.

(Bill Graveland/Canadian Press)
The extension is contingent upon NATO providing 1,000 additional soldiers to assist Canadian forces in Kandahar province.
Many of the protesters said they were participating to voice their belief that Canada should be a peacekeeping nation and not take part in active combat.
The protests coincided with rallies around the world to mark the upcoming five-year anniversary of the war in Iraq and demand an end to the continued U.S. military presence in Iraq and Afghanistan.
In Toronto, more than 1,000 people gathered under sunny skies outside the provincial legislature.
Meanwhile in Montreal, hundreds of protesters waved flags and sang as they marched through the city's downtown core. The mass of people stretched for several city blocks.
"I'm here because I'd like our government to divert all that spending and all those brains to find peaceful solutions. Young men and women are getting killed. Innocent people in Afghanistan are getting killed," said Maureen Adelman, 74, who held a placard that read "No war, no way, no where."
Federal New Democrat Leader Jack Layton told reporters in Toronto that Canada is better suited to be engaging in a peacekeeping mission under the United Nations, rather than fighting under NATO.
Since 2002, 80 Canadian soldiers and one diplomat have been killed in Afghanistan.

Cannot for the life of me understand why they would want to protest the Afghan war. I think like you said they are only interested in a show. Just protest for the sake of protesting. Idiots.

You should click on the link and read some of the comments on the bottom of the page that were posted in response to the article. Some of them show how horrible their education on world affairs really is.

You should click on the link and read some of the comments on the bottom of the page that were posted in response to the article. Some of them show how horrible their education on world affairs really is.

Nah, it's not worth it. Just brings about fury.

Back