Recommended Reading List for Army Wannabe's

they are missing the Dorsai Series, The Power of Personality in War, and War through the Ages in that list
Take it up with the Commandant, it's his reading list! Actually we should have a new one soon now that we have turned over commandants.

Just finished "In the Company of Heroes" by Michael J. Durant
It was an absolutely great book! Makes you realize how easy we have it because of men and women willing to risk everything.

Is Pressfield the guy who wrote Gates of Fire and The Afghan Campaign? If so, he's a great author.

I bought The Profession on it's released & finished that same day. Set in the near future, but the warrior ethos in Pressfield's books are as present as ever. Other than Gates of Fire, my favorite of his is probably either the Afghan Campaign or Tides of War. I know a lot of people didn't like Tides of War because the main characters were not as admirable compared to the Spartans, but the speeches & battle scenes were just as gripping.

I also just finished reading "Unbroken." It's a true story of WWII vet Louis Zamperini. His plane got shot down, spent 47 days adrift at sea, where he lost nearly 1/2 his bodyweight. He then got "rescued" by the Japanese, only to experience years of continual torture. The book is awe-inspiring. You could also read his autobiography of the events (book is titled "Devil at My Heels").
http://www.amazon.com/Unbroken-World-Survival-Resilience-Redemption/dp/1400064163

I would love to see Gates of Fire or The Afghan Campaign as movies. I'd have to give the edge to Afghan. He is a great writer.

I would love to see Gates of Fire or The Afghan Campaign as movies. I'd have to give the edge to Afghan. He is a great writer.
I've read both of those multiple times, great books. I agree about The Afghan Campaign, and I think it would make a better movie.

I bought The Profession on it's released & finished that same day. Set in the near future, but the warrior ethos in Pressfield's books are as present as ever. Other than Gates of Fire, my favorite of his is probably either the Afghan Campaign or Tides of War. I know a lot of people didn't like Tides of War because the main characters were not as admirable compared to the Spartans, but the speeches & battle scenes were just as gripping.

I loved Tides of War. Did you notice there's a character in both Tides and The Profession? He also make's a appearance in The Virtues of War although I never finished it.

Ya
Did you notice there's a character in both Tides and The Profession? He also make's a appearance in The Virtues of War although I never finished it.

Yeah I did! I guess Pressfield has him in a lot of his books. Virtues of War was pretty awesome as well. It sure was a relief reading it after seeing that abortion of a movie from oliver stone.

Ya

Yeah I did! I guess Pressfield has him in a lot of his books. Virtues of War was pretty awesome as well. It sure was a relief reading it after seeing that abortion of a movie from oliver stone.
I'll haft to give Virtues another shot, I watched the movie shortly before I started it so it kinda ruined it for me. Except for seeing Rosario Dawson naked that movie SUCKED! I always thought it would be cool to see a book or books focused on Telamon, like the Casca series.

I know this is an old post, but I am currently reading "Once an Eagle" by Anton Myrer. I think that this is the best military book that I have read. It is a long read and I have not finished it yet, but it is amazing so far.

I know this is an old post but worth repeating. If you are an aspiring military cadet/NCO/officer who desires to serve in a support/combat arms/SOF career field, a law enforcement officer who wants to learn more about leadership or a civilian who wants to understand more about the military then go read Once an Eagle by Anton Myrer. It is the best book I have read on combat, on leadership (both in combat and in garrison) and will always have a treasured place in my bookshelf (well worn 1st edition hard cover). This is not "Chosen Soldier" or "Lone Survivor". It's not a book that tells you about all the cool things that Anton Meyer has done. This is a book that imparts solid leadership lessons to you with every paragraph and every page. Consider it a text book on how to be a military leader. He gives pretty solid examples of what to aspire to be like (Sam Damon) and what not to be like (Courtney Massengale). Anton Myrer was wounded in World War II and left service as a Corporal of Marines. He graduated from Harvard and became a writer. He has the credentials to write this book. I gave a 1st edition copy to my platoon sergeant for his birthday (Force Recon MSgt and Navy Cross recipient) and he said it was the best book he had ever read. Go read it.

http://www.amazon.com/Once-Eagle-An...&qid=1369893537&sr=1-3&keywords=once+an+eagle

Without a doubt the best book I've ever read. Someday I'd like to get a first edition for the bookshelf. Until then here's the copy that I've read a few times, its done some traveling with me.
Once an Eagle.jpg

Back