Recon Faq

BRC 1-15 in the books !

Congratulations!

I'm planning on screening in a few months while I'm at SOI (ITB). From what I've heard and researched, they now have the Basic Reconnaissance Primer Course before BRC for the pipeline guys and is still pretty much the same as what MART was. What was the part you disliked the most and enjoyed the most about your time in BRC?

Again, congratulations!

Congratulations!

I'm planning on screening in a few months while I'm at SOI (ITB). From what I've heard and researched, they now have the Basic Reconnaissance Primer Course before BRC for the pipeline guys and is still pretty much the same as what MART was. What was the part you disliked the most and enjoyed the most about your time in BRC?

Again, congratulations!
@Jäger , I'm not dogging you, in fact I wish you all the success in the world! I am just amazed at the resources you guys have available to you today...I still remember my first week or so in Okinawa seeing groups of guys running around with pieces of rope everywhere they went...I had to ask someone who/what they were. You havn't even gone to boot yet, and you are throwing around acronyms like an old salt.

Last edited:
@Jäger , I'm not dogging you, in act I wish you all the success in the world! I am just amazed at the resources you guys have available to you today...I still remember my first week or so in Okinawa seeing groups of guys running around with pieces of rope everywhere they went...I had to ask someone who/what they were. You havn't even gone to boot yet, and you are throwing around acronyms like an old salt.

My generation is certainly blessed to have what we have today sir. My target right now is Recruit Training and nothing else. I'm just preparing myself for what may be on the beaten path ahead of me. Thank you for the advice sir.

Congratulations!

Again, congratulations!

Thank you

Nothing will ever be what MART used to be. between the stories I have heard from my good friends, and from what I have seen while I was a MCIWS working my pool. I had a little bit a of a different experience, I went thru as a 26 year old Sgt, I was the oldest guy in my team by 7 years! Yes BRPC is now a mandatory course required by BRC. I was the last class that was not required to go thru it. I was glad to skip out on it, in my honest opinion BRPC is 5 week screener/ pre phase 1. Without a doubt the Jr Marines I spoke with said that the pool/fin time in BRPC prepped them quite a bit for BRC, but when I spoke with the other lat movers, and officers in the end they would have much rather passed on BRPC, but then again that is a bunch of "old" guys talking. essentially to me BRPC would just add another 5 weeks to the length of BRC, and put more strain on my frail body. I was fortunate to be coming from A&S , and a fairly lengthy work up to selection, so my conditioning/land nav/feet were on point as much as they could be.

To answer your question I think the hardest/least enjoyable part for me was to be treated more or less like a Jr Marine again. It was a very humbling experience, You wont have that problem, being fresh. I was just conditioned one way for a few years, so it was a bit of a shock at first, but I got over it after the first week or so. Some of my peers did not, and I think that may have had a direct influence on them deciding to be there or not. As for the fun parts, at the end of each phase there is a "cool down/fun" week to kind of let you relax a bit before you get ready to hit the next phase. Phase 1 - SPIE, DEMO, Rappelling Phase 2 - helo cast, OTH mission, soft ducking. Phase 3 -Death hike, graduation, wearing the Black/Gold. I hope I answered your questions. Just remember you have a bit of a way to go before you get your shot. make the most of it. you cant get to tomorrow without finishing today. Here are a few pieces of advice I picked up the last couple of years , and between selection, and BRC :

"Never make a decision when your going uphill"
"Everyday a selection, Every task a test"
"Your going to be treated like mushrooms, kept in the dark, and fed sh!t"

and most importantly - "Nothing lasts forever, unless your dead, that fact will last forever"

Thank you

Nothing will ever be what MART used to be. between the stories I have heard from my good friends, and from what I have seen while I was a MCIWS working my pool. I had a little bit a of a different experience, I went thru as a 26 year old Sgt, I was the oldest guy in my team by 7 years! Yes BRPC is now a mandatory course required by BRC. I was the last class that was not required to go thru it. I was glad to skip out on it, in my honest opinion BRPC is 5 week screener/ pre phase 1. Without a doubt the Jr Marines I spoke with said that the pool/fin time in BRPC prepped them quite a bit for BRC, but when I spoke with the other lat movers, and officers in the end they would have much rather passed on BRPC, but then again that is a bunch of "old" guys talking. essentially to me BRPC would just add another 5 weeks to the length of BRC, and put more strain on my frail body. I was fortunate to be coming from A&S , and a fairly lengthy work up to selection, so my conditioning/land nav/feet were on point as much as they could be.

To answer your question I think the hardest/least enjoyable part for me was to be treated more or less like a Jr Marine again. It was a very humbling experience, You wont have that problem, being fresh. I was just conditioned one way for a few years, so it was a bit of a shock at first, but I got over it after the first week or so. Some of my peers did not, and I think that may have had a direct influence on them deciding to be there or not. As for the fun parts, at the end of each phase there is a "cool down/fun" week to kind of let you relax a bit before you get ready to hit the next phase. Phase 1 - SPIE, DEMO, Rappelling Phase 2 - helo cast, OTH mission, soft ducking. Phase 3 -Death hike, graduation, wearing the Black/Gold. I hope I answered your questions. Just remember you have a bit of a way to go before you get your shot. make the most of it. you cant get to tomorrow without finishing today. Here are a few pieces of advice I picked up the last couple of years , and between selection, and BRC :

"Never make a decision when your going uphill"
"Everyday a selection, Every task a test"
"Your going to be treated like mushrooms, kept in the dark, and fed sh!t"

and most importantly - "Nothing lasts forever, unless your dead, that fact will last forever"

Wow, thank you for the advice sir! I could not have wished for a better response. Good luck when you get to your unit. I'll keep all of these things in mind as I move from A-Z.

Is "every day a selection, every task a test" something they say at BRC now? I remember some yahoo coining that in his command guidance once upon a time.

Is "every day a selection, every task a test" something they say at BRC now? I remember some yahoo coining that in his command guidance once upon a time.

They said it a time or two sir, but I have heard it before. I think the first time I heard it, it was from an old force guy who is at 1st Msob now.

just something to ask out of curiosity, you mentioned not being color blind, i am not trying to insult your intelligence or challenge you, however I did the NSW/SO physical that was signed by undersea medical officer and i failed the PIP test horribly. I asked if being color blind would disqualify me and he said i should be fine. After he said that I grabbed my package and mentioned it to my career planner. We pulled out the MOS Manual and read it, MCO 1200.18, and it does not specify on anything about that. Then we looked up what orders any lat mover or enlistee has to be in compliance with. Still nothing. Now once i submitted everything i waited and it came back stating "Not recommended" i am not sure for what reasons maybe my monitor and the recon monitor had comments on TFRS no one could see to verify the reason so i did not bother to find out. What i am trying to lead up to is this if someone within the recon units knows something that HQMC is not putting out there in the order then what is the qualifying/disqualifying factors! sorry for the long story just trying to make my point.

i did not bother to find out.

Buddy, there are so many issues with your post. But let's focus on this one in the quote. In about a whooping 4 seconds I was able to come up with this, and after about another 3 seconds scanning results clicked on the fourth link. Scroll down past the video and the battalion logos and guess what? A comprehensive list of requirements, straight from the horses mouth. Including details on color vision.

Punctuation wants to be your friend. Let it. So does Google. You should let it too.

Oh yeah, back to the issue at hand. I'd suggest you check out this document, and pay special attention to the 'C' paragraph of the creed.

Buddy, there are so many issues with your post. But let's focus on this one in the quote. In about a whooping 4 seconds I was able to come up with this, and after about another 3 seconds scanning results clicked on the fourth link. Scroll down past the video and the battalion logos and guess what? A comprehensive list of requirements, straight from the horses mouth. Including details on color vision.

Punctuation wants to be your friend. Let it. So does Google. You should let it too.

Oh yeah, back to the issue at hand. I'd suggest you check out this document, and pay special attention to the 'C' paragraph of the creed.
Thanks! Answering the question is really what I wanted someone to do. Regardless of Google being available. The confusion I had was with the mco having the prerequisites different from what you're putting out. If it seems I'm not doing research! That would be wrong I went off the mco and career planners guidance. Also I have read that pdf file before and it has two maradmins listed. One is canceled and one is still current. However, the new mco that recently came out last year of December in regards to the MOS manual would trump the MARADMIN pertaining to any mos in this case 0321. Don't believe me!? Talk to the career planner or counselor they will tell you that themselves. Hopefully the punctuation was better! I am not being sarcastic either.

Yes, your punctuation was better this time. I'm going to re-refer you to the BRC prep guide, and the creed therein.

There is a reason that I am pointing you that way, and it has nothing to do with any references the document may contain. Recon and the Rangers are both very small communities. Rangers and Recondos both are deadly serious about their mindset and ethos. This forum is chockablock full pipehitters and leading members of both communities. You are building a reputation. Now. With every post.

Go back, read the creed. See if you can tell me why I am sending you that way. I imagine that a decent showing will help somewhat to overcome the impression made by you original post in this thread.

-B&S

Per the reference in sub-paragraph (7) of the document that you posted, see page 84 here. (That's the .pdf's page 84, bottom of the page, left column. Pretty explicit. I've never looked at the NAVMED before in my life and I found in in less than 5 minutes. See my post above.)

I read it and yes it is very clear what the standard is along with waivers being considered on a case-by-case basis. Again I appreciate the info and everything you have offered here. Now all this answers my unanswered questions I had before.

Excellent post. Funny that on page 12 of the document, it states down there in the section at the lower right..... "No Color Blindness" I thought that was a fairly clear statement.

Excellent post. Funny that on page 12 of the document, it states down there in the section at the lower right..... "No Color Blindness" I thought that was a fairly clear statement.
I know it says that! All I was trying to figure out is why does the MCO state something different from other references. A pdf file isn't always the most valuable resource especially when it's not published on the maradmins site. Now I understand that the prep guide is created by a recon Marine however the date it was created is far before when the most recent MCO was published which will usually trump the other MCO orders. I already found my answer On the navmed, color blindness is disqualifying but a waiver can be granted on a case-by-case basis obviously something I did not receive.

...and i failed the PIP test horribly...

This is probably a non-waiverable failure. Color blindness comes in varying degrees, and if you filed your PIP as badly as you say, you could be a detriment to your team on the ground where color acuity can be very important.

I know it says that! All I was trying to figure out is why does the MCO state something different from other references. A pdf file isn't always the most valuable resource especially when it's not published on the maradmins site. Now I understand that the prep guide is created by a recon Marine however the date it was created is far before when the most recent MCO was published which will usually trump the other MCO orders. I already found my answer On the navmed, color blindness is disqualifying but a waiver can be granted on a case-by-case basis obviously something I did not receive.

You sure love to argue and show you know more than everybody else, don't you? By the way, colorblindness is a disqualifier for Ranger Batt and Special Forces on the Army side too.

This is probably a non-waiverable failure. Color blindness comes in varying degrees, and if you filed your PIP as badly as you say, you could be a detriment to your team on the ground where color acuity can be very important.

You sure love to argue and show you know more than everybody else, don't you? By the way, colorblindness is a disqualifier for Ranger Batt and Special Forces on the Army side too.

Actually no I really don't like to argue especially over the Internet. It may seem like I'm taking it personal but I'm not and I'm not about confrontation especially to some serious vets such as yourself, I'm not being sarcastic either. At the end of the day I'm just sick and tired of being told no without full explanation. That is the reason why I'm here to ask questions beyond my knowledge because I feel like the seniors above me really didn't give me guidance due to them not being these elite backgrounds, I.e. Recon, Marsoc, ODA, Ranger. Also I know for a fact I do not know more then anyone and if I offended or pissed anyone off apologies. This may sound contradicting but I will engage in a good argument or confrontation if I feel that I have a correct answer but not for any non-sense. Enough of the rant thank you for the info.

Back