Report: Navy Considering Eliminating Carrier Qualifications for Flight Students

Blizzard

You read that correctly.

This guy says it would be a mistake:
Don’t Ignore the Value of Basic Carrier Training

I'm not a naval aviator nor have I ever landed on a carrier and, while I believe training needs to constantly evolve, I agree with LCDR. It defies common sense and would be a mistake if the Navy went down this path.

I'd also like to think the odds of this happening are low but the fact the good idea fairy is even tossing this around means it requires some type of serious rebuke.

You read that correctly.

This guy says it would be a mistake:
Don’t Ignore the Value of Basic Carrier Training

I'm not a naval aviator nor have I ever landed on a carrier and, while I believe training needs to constantly evolve, I agree with LCDR. It defies common sense and would be a mistake if the Navy went down this path.

I'd also like to think the odds of this happening are low but the fact the good idea fairy is even tossing this around means it requires some type of serious rebuke.

I provide cybersecurity support for one airframe's flight sims and sit about 20 feet away from the guys who provide the same for all of the Navy's initial training (CNATRA) flight sims. The contract award for the next gen training aircraft was pushed to the right by 2 years while the Navy determines if that a/c should be carrier capable.

PLM changed the game. Without PLM, the conversation wouldn't occur.

For my a/c, we certify all of the backseaters in everything except inflight tasks. Our students' first time in the jet is their check ride before going to a fleet squadron. We even have two partial airframes for maintenance training plus radar, landing gear, etc. trainers for the maintenance folks.

Check out the Navy's push for LVC training. Whatever I think of it, that's where flight training for students and qualified aviators is heading. We've already completed a test program for the E-2D Hawkeye mixing sims with real-world a/c.

Ward Carroll has covered this a bit in a couple YT vids. I think anytime there is such a paradigm shift there is knee-jerking from the legacy crowd, but I don't know enough to know if this is inherently 'good' or 'bad', but I think it does have some value. A lot of Naval pilots think it's a good plan.

Back