Reserve USMC Reconnaisance Marine

MARSOC has a million dollar advertising campaign and dozens of recruiters. Recon doesn't have any of that. All we have is a standard that 70% of Marines fail to meet and that challenge seems to attract the right people to our doorstep. Your career planner will know what paperwork needs to be submitted. You can also contact the I&I at whatever recon unit you want to associate with. I know most of them and can put you in touch with someone if want. Try the website first though.

Talked to my career planner and he's gonna find out what paperwork I need and what needs to be done. While I wanted to wait to pick up Corporal, I'll be fine trying for it as a Lance. Roughly how long do you think this process would take? Because it's possible I'll pick up within a year. I'm close.

Promoting to corporal isn't an issue. BRC will even take sergeants.

I don't know how long the process takes, I don't normally work on the reserve side.

Promoting to corporal isn't an issue. BRC will even take sergeants.

I don't know how long the process takes, I don't normally work on the reserve side.

Yeah it was kinda just a milestone a wanted to reach, but like you said, it's not an issue. I appreciate all the help. If you have any tips for preparing, I'm all ears haha.

You can search on here for training tips. I have noticed that all the NSW/PJ/CCT training plans also work for BRC since those pipelines require a lot of pool work in addition to all the land PT.

@Teufel

One of my SSgts (went through 90% of MARSOC pipeline before dropping due to family issues) told me that Recon wasn't exactly considered "Special Operations". Now whether or not this is true isn't changing my mind, but how true is that statement?

Family issues huh. Everyone has a tab or a story. Graduating a pipeline is like getting pregnant; 90% is closer to zero than it is to 100%.

Special operations forces are officially defined in our joint doctrine as specialized forces belonging to SOCOM. Recon is not a part of SOCOM and as such cannot be SOF. That being said Marine Reconnaissance was considered to be the Marine Corps' SOF unit prior to the creation of SOCOM in 1987 and I think many saw it that way prior to the creation of MARSOC out of 1st and 2nd Force Recon Companies. I consider Recon to be a SOF-like force that often operates with the MEU performing SOF missions in direct support of the TSOCs.

So in that case, my understanding of them has pretty much gone down a lot lol. Without giving up OPSEC obviously or too much information, what does Recon's mission consist of vs MARSOC?

So in that case, my understanding of them has pretty much gone down a lot lol. Without giving up OPSEC obviously or too much information, what does Recon's mission consist of vs MARSOC?
Recon works for the Marine Corps and MARSOC works for SOCOM. The mission essential tasks are fairly similar although MARSOC has a heavy focus on training partner forces that recon does not have.

Recon works for the Marine Corps and MARSOC works for SOCOM. The mission essential tasks are fairly similar although MARSOC has a heavy focus on training partner forces that recon does not have.
Ok sounds great then. Looking forward to trying out for it then. Do you think it would be in my best interest to get in contact with a recon unit's I&I staff? If so, I'm not really sure what I'd even talk to them about

I would ask them how you can join their unit. They may have some insight into the process.
Roger that. I'll probably do that at some point then. I swear this is my last question. They just keep rolling in and I'm sure this is getting a bit annoying. But after a while in Recon, could I eventually get into a Reserve Force Recon unit? Trying to figure that exact process out too.

And I tried looking up the units online, but could you possibly get me some contact information for the San Antonio Unit? I believe that's Charlie Co

Roger that. I'll probably do that at some point then. I swear this is my last question. They just keep rolling in and I'm sure this is getting a bit annoying. But after a while in Recon, could I eventually get into a Reserve Force Recon unit? Trying to figure that exact process out too.
There is no difference between a reserve recon battalion company and a reserve Force Recon company other than the naming convention. There used to be a significant difference between the two on the active side but that is no longer always the case and varies from unit to unit.

There is no difference between a reserve recon battalion company and a reserve Force Recon company other than the naming convention. There used to be a significant difference between the two on the active side but that is no longer always the case and varies from unit to unit.
Ok. Also I just spoke with a SSgt who came to my unit from Snipers. Talked with him about the choice between both options also. How long would I be considered a "Roper" in the reserve side, considering how long the training pipeline is? I believe the pipeline is 2 years

You are a roper until you graduate BRC. That's the pipeline. Volunteer, MART (pre-BRC), BRC. Look up the Recon Training Company website and you'll find out more details. The rest of the schools are not considered part of the pipeline and you get those along the way.

Will the unit pretty much send you to an available seat in BRC?

I don't fully understand your question but I'll give it a shot. The reserve units screen personnel and send them to BRPC/BRC if they pass when slots are available. I don't know how and when they assign you to their unit. Email recon_recruiting@usmc.mil and they will find that answer for you.

Back