Revision Hellfly vs. Oakley Minute 2.0

Thanks 91B.

FF - Spent the day at the range. The muffs kept their seal the entire time, with NO discomfort. I was really impressed.

No pinching around the temples or ears?

I think that narrows down the list for my next pair of prescription sunglasses.

Thank you for taking the time to do the write-up!

Do not do a google image search for "wily-x SG1". :-\

I don't know what happened to that poor guy, but I know one pair of sunglasses I won't be getting someone for their birthday.

I see two pics of blokes with face injuries who both have their eyes intact. Mission accomplished I'd have thought.

Sorry, it was kind of a gut reaction of "ew, is that bone sticking out of that guy's face?!" moreso than 'the glasses didn't do their job'. I hope the glasses did protect their eyes. But with those pics and the info given above, it's kind of put me off this particular brand.

Anyhow, isn't the "mission" for sunglasses primarily to make you guys look more bad ass than your civilian counterparts. ;-) If such a thing were possible...

Hannah

Sorry, it was kind of a gut reaction of "ew, is that bone sticking out of that guy's face?!" moreso than 'the glasses didn't do their job'. I hope the glasses did protect their eyes. But with those pics and the info given above, it's kind of put me off this particular brand.
Anyhow, isn't the "mission" for sunglasses primarily to make you guys look more bad ass than your civilian counterparts. ;-) If such a thing were possible...
Hannah

LOL. I'm just a casual hobby shooter but the first and last job of those suckers is protection. I have a set of Howard Leight ear and eye pro that have zero cool factor. They aren't what I would have chosen for myself (Christmas gift) but I wear them at the range every time.

Now, if the guys happen to drop a little more coin on something they wear every day for protection anyway and it makes them look cooler? Hell yeah.

I won a competition here on the site, and a pair of Revision Hellfly sunglasses arrived at my house yesterday.

First Impressions:

First of all I want to express my gratitude for the people who made it happen, I assume it was Boon and Zushwa.

The sunglasses came with a cleaning/carrying bag and a semi-rigid hard case. I like the size of the case; I think I could fit it into the sleeve pockets of my ACUs if I didn't mind the bulge. It will definitely fit in my ACU trouser pockets. There's a little Revision tag on the zipper of the hard case; I would have liked that to have been a bit bigger so I could use a miniature snap link to attach it to the outside of my travel pack for when I go back and forth on deployment, but I can add a piece of 550 cord and still achieve the same effect.

The sunglasses fit my face well, and the lenses seem high-quality. They feel very secure; with my chin strap cinched down I think I could probably jump with them and not worry about them flying off when I exit the aircraft. They're also not so tight that they cause me to have a headache, which was a problem I had with a pair of Oakley Livestrong glasses I bought (wife now wears those).

I usually wear a pair of Wiley-X sunglasses. They were issued to me in my last unit and I liked them because 1) they were free, and 2) you can change out lenses and frame parts to make them sunglasses with regular frames or goggles with clear lenses and wraparound headband. I don't dig my Wiley-Xs in "sunglasses" mode because they are very, very loose on my face and severely restrict my peripheral vision. I also have a pair of Oakelys that I really like, but after 10+ years the lenses are pretty bad. So it's good I have these Revisions now.

My wife put them on and we both agreed that she didn't look good in them. My wife is average size and build for a woman; perhaps a smaller size would have looked good on her. They look fine on me.

When I first put them on, the Revisions stood off of my face to the point where the gap between the bottom of the frame and the top of my cheek was so large I could stick my fingers in it. I spread the adjustable nosepiece to its maximum opening and the gap closed up quite a bit.

Things I don't like:
-The sunglasses are gray on black, so I'm not 100% certain I can wear them with my uniform. No drama if I can't, they'll be my "drive my Jeep and wear civilian clothes" glasses.

-Even with the nosepiece bent out, there is still a bit of a gap between the bottom of the frames and the top of my cheeks; I might be able to fix that by taking the nosepiece out altogether but I'm going to give it a couple of days first.

Bottom line:
I think these are quality glasses. They are going to be my "daily wear" glasses, replacing my aging Oakleys and my issue-grade Wiley-Xs. Thanks again to the people who made it happen.

I was issued two pairs of the sawfly and decided to flip the bill and shoot at a pair with a couple of different calibers. My 22LR and 22Mag did NOT penetrate the lenses, but the 9mm and higher did (no surprise there)

After being struck with the 22's, the frames separated from the lenses but they were till intact and wearable, only had to snap them back together. The only deformity to the lens was the actual impact site.

Same day at the range, a buddy of mine did the same thing, only he shot his with a 12ga from about 10 meters away, not one of the pellets penetrated.

I am definitely a believer, even though I'm not a huge fan of the fit (they tend to slide down my nose a little bit unless I have the strap attached to the arms, which our unit does not allow) and I've found that the lenses aren't very scratch resistant, but all in all I like them.

I am looking for the pictures, I think they're on another external drive somewhere. When I find them I'll amend this post and include.

-Casimir

Back