Revision Hellfly vs. Oakley Minute 2.0

LimaOscarSierraTango

Infantry
Verified Military
So I've been wearing my Oakley's for a while and I really like them. Ever since Revision came to this site, I wanted to give them another try (I had issues with their Sawfly sunglasses fitting properly overseas and
picked up some Oakleys as a replacement. The issues were not Revision's fault, I have a tiny, odd-shaped melon and a large crooked nose). I took a look at what Revision had to offer and finally picked up a pair of Hellflys.

First off, I would like to thank Revision for supporting our service members. That caused a delay of a couple of months getting the sunglasses I wanted (black frame, polarized lenses), but I was more
than willing to wait knowing the guys that needed the protection more than I did were getting it. Kudos!
My needs
A pair of functional sunglasses that look good while not in the field and offer superior protection while in the field.

Oakley Minute 2.0
Appearance - I am a fan of the look and shape of the smaller lens. I really like Oakley Half Jacket XLJs, but it's been years since I owned a pair and the Minute 2.0 caught my eyes since the Half Jackets were on back order.

Fit - They are very comfortable and fit nice for daily wear. It's a whole nother story when wearing a kevlar though. These sunglasses would not stay on the bridge of my nose. The straps for the brain
bucket tend to press the ear pieces to my head and push the sunglasses up and away from my face. That gets to be uncomfortable, distracting, and renders the sunglasses virtually useless until I can re-adjust them. This is not acceptable in a field environment.

Functionality - While I haven't tested the ballistic protection, I trust Oakley and their QA testing. The polarized lenses seem to do their job. I would like the lenses to be a little darker to hide my eyes, but it's not a big deal for what I use them for. Aside from the issues with the kevlar (which can be a big issue), these sunglasses performed as expected.

Revision Hellfly
Appearance – Of course the first thing I noticed was the design of the sunglasses. My first impression was very favorable. The one aesthetic part I wasn't 100% sold on was the part between the lens and the ear piece. I prefer it to be skinnier, but I also felt this offered up more protection from the side, so I was definitely ok with it.

Fit - The biggest advantage I had with the Hellfly's was the fact that they stayed on my nose with my kevlar on. The nose piece and ear pieces were comfortable and I could wear the sunglasses all day long with or without the brain bucket on.

Functionality - The first thing I noticed after the shape of the lens was the replaceable nose piece. Awesome! While some people may think this is a mistake because you may lose it, I feel as though it added to the comfort level of the sunglasses. While I haven't tested the ballistic protection, I trust Revision and their QA testing. The polarized lenses seem to do their job. The larger lenses also reach to my cheek bone, offering up better protection for my eyes. I would like the lenses to be a little darker to hide my eyes, but it's not a big deal for what I use them for.
Final verdict
The Hellflys beat out the Minute 2.0s in my short, amateurish, unscientific comparison. You may have different results, but I am happy with my purchase so far. If you have other questions about anything I did not touch on, feel free to ask.
Now that Revision came out with a small version of the Sawfly, I will have to try those out when I need a new pair of sunglasses...
(I hate you Revision! LOL)

I haven't worn any muffs with these, but the ear pieces are pretty low profile. Let me grab my set of muffs and wear them around for a day or so for extended periods of time and I'll get back to you. In the past, it didn't matter when I was wearing a CV helmet, but I know it made a big difference with muffs and a hard hat.

I haven't worn any muffs with these, but the ear pieces are pretty low profile. Let me grab my set of muffs and wear them around for a day or so for extended periods of time and I'll get back to you. In the past, it didn't matter when I was wearing a CV helmet, but I know it made a big difference with muffs and a hard hat.

Thank you. I'm mainly thinking of muffs and a ball cap at the range.

Ok, no problem. I'll let you know. In fact, I am going to be hitting the range this weekend, I'll skip the in-ear and use muffs and let you know if I can keep a good seal around the ears and how comfortable they are for me.

Just ordered Hellflys to replace a well worn, combat tested set of Oakleys.... I am excited about getting them and testing them in the field...... more to follow once I put them through a few operations.

Just ordered Hellflys to replace a well worn, combat tested set of Oakleys.... I am excited about getting them and testing them in the field...... more to follow once I put them through a few operations.

I'm looking forward to your expert assessment as I might be looking for new eyepro as I hope to be deployed at the end of the year.. I have Oakley's which I think are great, and would be very similar to the Hellflys. I also have pair of wily-x SG1's that I think was the worst purchase I've ever made. They fog up nearly instantly when your active and its a pain in the hole trying to wipe them every 5 mins.

Irish - Understand and Wilco! There was an SF Team Sergeant that was killed last year over here after one of the other SF Operators to his front stopped to wipe his fogged glasses and the Team Daddy walked around him and stepped on a IED. May he Rest in Peace and we learn from the incident so that it not be repeated.

Irish - Understand and Wilco! There was an SF Team Sergeant that was killed last year over here after one of the other SF Operators to his frontstopped to wipe his fogged glasses and the Team Daddy walked around him and stepped on a IED. May he Rest in Peace and we learn from the incident so that it not be repeated.

Sorry for the loss of your Brother, SF.. Ironic-ly I bought them off a Green Beenie who ETS'd last year. I wouldn't recommend those to anyone!

I had fitment issues ..., I have a tiny, odd-shaped melon and a large crooked nose

Bro... Fitment is not a word, even to those berated in my sig line.... "Yo, Sahge , I gots fitment probs wit my 'quipment..." Is this the beginning of a rap song?:confused:

As to your self stated physical deformities.... wow, more info than I really wanted... I now picture you like the Gary Larson cartoon victim of a headhunter only wearing oversized sunglasses.... I really didn't need that. :(

I know it's not a word (my spell check told me that), unfortunately I was too tired to form the correct phrase in order to get my point across. My error, I will check myself next time.

BTW, Gary Larson rules, and I think you've pictured me quite accurately. :D

biggrin.png

Actually, I didn't know until today that "fitment" was a word, I just decided to check.

I did know that "orientate" is a word, despite what most of us are told in land nav class.

Or "orient," which is usually what people mean when they say "orientate." Then some guy (prob 2LT) who wants to look smart jumps up and says, "orientate isn't a word," and then he wishes he would have STFU when someone tells him it is a word, dumbass, it means "to face east," now let me finish this class so you don't get hopelessly lost out here on the star course... some thing like that.

You're right though; just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Although I think you could make a case for "orientate" in the same context- "orientate" a map...

Thanks Mara. I learned a new word today. And I agree with xSF, orientate sounds ridiculous.
But you guys should try living without "got." My mother had a spasm if we used it.

Oh, and on the original topic: I'm dying to try the new "small" size from Revision.

Back