Royal Canadian Air Force Snow Bird Crashed

RackMaster

Nasty-Dirty-Canuck
SOF Support
There's no official report yet obviously but it's looking like engine failure and one of the seats failed to eject properly. Add in that these airframes have been in service since 1963-1966.

Watching the video I had the same thought: bad ejection/ seat didn't work. To my untrained eyes it looked like two seats were fired. It could be easy for first impressions to think she went in with the mishap aircraft. My other thought is that it was simply too low. Everything can work right given enough time...

Blue Skies.

Watching the video I had the same thought: bad ejection/ seat didn't work. To my untrained eyes it looked like two seats were fired. It could be easy for first impressions to think she went in with the mishap aircraft. My other thought is that it was simply too low. Everything can work right given enough time...

Blue Skies.

From other video and eye witnesses, both ejected but only one chute partially opened and that was the pilot that landed on a residential roof. The PAO that died, appeared to have direct impact of a backyard. Both locations are not far from the jet wreckage.

From other video and eye witnesses, both ejected but only one chute partially opened and that was the pilot that landed on a residential roof. The PAO that died, appeared to have direct impact of a backyard. Both locations are not far from the jet wreckage.
Trying not to speculate too much but I've seen two videos of the accident...

In one video, it sounds as though the jet suffers a compressor failure as it passes the runway threshold; you can hear it pop. That's a tough problem in a single engine jet at low altitude, relatively low airspeed, over a populated area. As a likely result, the pilot attempts to gain altitude to work the problem, thus the high pitch up and climb out. Unfortunately, the airplane stalls out and enters a spin.

Both occupants appear to eject, however, given the low altitude and high angle of the airplane, there is little to no opportunity for separation or for chutes to fully deploy. ☹

Godspeed.

Last edited:
That would explain why witnesses said she was found strapped in her seat in the wreckage.

Back