RSTA CAV UNIT's?

Does that mean the infantry scout platoon will be going away w/i the Stryker Brigades?
Reed

Historically mech Inf used 19D's in the scout platoons. I would imagine it would be the same for Strykers. Sniper Sections will stay 11B.

I've always thought the RSTA concept was redundant, I would have rather seen dedicated LRS company at the BCT level, and keep the mounted scouts in the armored/mech units.

It makes very little sense to have a Cav Scout in a light/airborne unit.

Historically mech Inf used 19D's in the scout platoons. I would imagine it would be the same for Strykers. Sniper Sections will stay 11B.

I've always thought the RSTA concept was redundant, I would have rather seen dedicated LRS company at the BCT level, and keep the mounted scouts in the armored/mech units.

It makes very little sense to have a Cav Scout in a light/airborne unit.
Slight nitpic, a BCT could only really only support a LRS-D. And yes, I agree all BCT's, I,S and H should have a LRS-D considering the size of the battlespace they have controlled in recent conflicts.

I disagree that a BCT cannot support a comapny strength LRSU, but will say that LRSD would be a great start.

LRS brings a lot more than ground ISR capability, they can bring a SOF like capability to the BCT cdr, as well as being a force multiplier, especially due to the insertion and advanced skillset capabilities.

Imagine a BCT that can deploy LRS teams ahead of ground operations, giving ground ISR as well as CAS/Fires support, coupled with a abilities to perform surgical DA with follow on SSE. Just the PR capabilities at the BCT level would be a major improvement.

Now imagine if you could tie in a SIGINT capability and UAV IAR's at the BCT level, holy shit.

That would change what and how a BCT could affect the battle space on so many levels it would be unreal. Of course you would have to have competent commanders at the BCT level and you would inevitably piss off a bunch of other command levels laying claim to all those capabilities, etc.

Pipe dream, I know, but it could work and it would make the overall BCT capable of truly independent operations.

You have an entire Battalion size organization in a BCT whose job in Recce. Employ them correctly instead of as a mounted infantry battalion.
Are you really stating that 19D's in Humvees have the same capabilities as a LRS team?? Different mission, different skill sets. THIS is why armor needs to keep there mitts off of the RSLC school and away from LRS.
Reed

RSLC School has been moved from RTB to the Armor School. It is supposed to remain on Camp Rogers however. I'm just pointing at the fact that at least this Cav Unit has not practiced Recce in a long time and has been used as a motorized infantry battalion. If you don't sharpen the blade, over time it dulls and rusts.

RSLC School has been moved from RTB to the Armor School.

Wow. I actually looked this up because it sounds so damn stupid (the concept, not you ThunderHorse).

http://www.benning.army.mil/armor/316thCav/content/rslc/

The Reconnaissance and Surveillance Leaders Course is a 29-day course conducted by Delta Company, 4th Ranger Training Battalion at Fort Benning, GA.

Look at the URL and then look at the text. :-o

Then I saw this at the bottom:

RSLC is not the Long Range Surveillance Leaders Course (LRSLC) of yesteryear. Although RSLC is a course within the Ranger Training Brigade, this is not the fourth phase of Ranger School nor is it mandatory to be airborne or Ranger qualified to attend.

Go home, Army, you're drunk.

Back