Rucking problems...

Welcome to the board. You're new here and full of energy, and we can all appreciate your enthusiasm. To be frank, you have some good info buried in a post that should probably be 3, 4, or maybe 5 sentences long.

I'm not in the service but I'm pretty much ready to go on a 1200 mile thru hike of the Pacific Northwest Trail from Glacier National Park , MT until I plunge myself into the Pacific Ocean. I have all my tickets and permits and my Amtrak to East Glacier where I am planning to add an extra 110 miles to my ruck to the Chief Mountain Custom USA-Canada border to begin my trek from the official start of the PNT! I'm an ultra light backpacker and my baseweight in 14 pounds and with food and water and fuel I am sitting around 22-23 pounds with some luxury items (projector, iPad, and bluetooth speaker - sex appeal in the fire lookout baby, it's movie night).

No one cares. Seriously. "I do a lot of hiking, this is what works for me" or a similarly bland intro to this thread would work. This reads like some blowhard, know-it-all opinion we've seen dozens and dozens of times before. Ask yourself this: would you walk up to a complete stranger and drop that paragraph on them? If someone did that to you would wait for them to finish before laughing or walking off

Backpacker basics: Proper fitting boots. Proper fitting clothes (nothing cotton). TOE SOCKS!!! INJINI OR DARN TOUGH OR SMARTWOOL!!! Prevents blisters in between toes... Us marathoners know what's up! Proper fitting backpack. Make sure it's packed right... light stuff like sleeping pad and clothes or whatever at the bottom, then medium heavy in the center (I typically put my whole sleep systems in a waterproof bag, and then whatever you wanna quick grab at the top. Since you're a Marine you need a backpack with a frame that can support at least 80-100lbs. Make sure it fits close to your body and use the load levelers if you can. Also put the bag on properly too. If you have REI nearby ask them to help you if you don't already know, but I like to start with my shoulder straps, then chest, then belt buckle, and load levelers if I have them.

Good, basic info. You're hiking, not rucking, but those basics are solid...and we veterans know what's up! (See how that sounds?) Then you flame out and blow a fiery crater into the planet:
Since you're a Marine you need a backpack with a frame that can support at least 80-100lbs.
You probably have no idea how insulting it is to read that. If you haven't worn a uniform then it is a bit presumptuous to tell someone who IS in uniform what they need for rucking of all things. I understand your intent, and that you mean well, but c'mon. That kind of stuff will turn people off. Quickly.

Run a lot. A LOT! As fast as you can as many times a week as you can without injury. Take a week off every third or fourth week) and Swim a lot too! I really love women's aerobics aka: crossfag. It's usually between Barre and Booty Pump or Zumba, but if you can get into Booty / Body Pump it's the best. Have you ever done 60 minutes of non stop squats and lunges with 60-100 pounds? Trust me these women have and they could break 90% of men's necks with the techniques coming out their buttcheeks. They rock it on the trail! I've been checked in half marathon Spartan Races by women rucking uphill with 40lbs and they are like "This is what carrying a child helps you do!"

Presentation matters and without us knowing you, this sounds stupid. Good intent, good info, but a horrible way to express yourself to people who know nothing about you on a topic where we literally have experts.

The best thing though is simply to ruck. Move as fast as you can up the steepest mountains you can. I live in Seattle so the best mountains in the country are basically all around me so I'm lucky but I mean... If you're in New York or something try and goto some tall buildings and use their stairwells... Empire State would be a dope race to the top in all your gear. Try not to pass out. Best of ruck (LOL!) to you in all your endeavors!

Slow down. We don't know you and you're coming across as if we know you and you know us. Maybe you interact with every stranger like this, but it tends to piss off strangers or start your relationship on the wrong foot. Your info is good, but your enthusiasm and presentation are killing you. Dial it back a bit until we get to know you.

So, you were in a pool, during a lightning storm, for hours, being 'trained' by someone else?

I have to call bullshit.

The only other possibility is that you need to refine your ability to conduct a risk assessment.

We weren't training for anything. We were just being evaluated. You're right though, that was a slight exaggeration and I am sure the danger did not exist as I expressed it. It was just raining and thunder towards the end of that long pool sesh and they let us out when the lightning began nearby but it was all something to laugh about since we were are pretty smoked and nobody was expecting to play in the pool so everyone was like like: "Water conf in a lightning storm!"

22-23lb is essentially clean skin, 45lb is a very light pack, 100+lb, now you're working.

Yep. 22# is light for even a single raid loadout. 45# is about right for a one day pack. 75-100 is pretty normal for anything over 72 hours, depending on the mission, expected resupply, etc.. I might overpack some, but I always prefer to have extra batteries/antennas/etc that I don't use than to have to tell the team that their JTAC can't get comms because he wanted a lighter ruck.

Yep. 22# is light for even a single raid loadout. 45# is about right for a one day pack. 75-100 is pretty normal for anything over 72 hours, depending on the mission, expected resupply, etc.. I might overpack some, but I always prefer to have extra batteries/antennas/etc that I don't use than to have to tell the team that their JTAC can't get comms because he wanted a lighter ruck.

Your post made me recollect, not in a good way. I was always humping extra batteries and comm stuff for the comms guys, as well as my medical kit....and ammo, and everything else. Everyone thinks Doc is a fucking Sherpa.

After Blackhawk Down, my PS thought it would be a good idea for every Marine to carry his own bag of IVF and IV start kit. No, prob says I. But he wanted me to carry it all. Hold on, Hoss....no can do, mi amigo. Me, carry 20, 25 liters of fluid? I told him to have each Marine carry his own. But they already carry too much, he said. Oy.

Unless I was carrying a raid load-out, my extended rucking gear was a 100 pounds, easy.

Agreed.

Ideally, everything packed into a ruck will be used on a mission with little that's extraneous, IMO. Packing extra items for contingencies is a fine balance between preparedness/ comfort and taking on too much extra weight, which can create its own problems, especially if high heat or traversing restricted terrain are factors.

Personally, I never had an issue with taking contingency stuff; Privates never seemed to complain about humping the Os extra batteries, glow sticks, ponchos, etc. :sneaky: And their un-arthritic knees and spines always need more conditioning. :thumbsup:

@Devildoc , docs are indestructible pack mules. Everybody knows that. :D

Ideally, everything packed into a ruck will be used on a mission with little that's extraneous, IMO. Packing extra items for contingencies is a fine balance between preparedness/ comfort and taking on too much extra weight, which can create its own problems, especially if high heat or traversing restricted terrain are factors.

Absolutely agree. Packing my ruck is its own METT-TC process every time.

I think we carried 90-100 lbs of gear, ammo, weapons, Claymores, C4, pop flares, strobes, LAAWs, kabars, canteens, extra MG ammo, frags and smokes plus flak vest... goddam I can still almost feel the grooves in my shoulders from equipment straps. We used to have to help each other up after a take-five. You paratroopers know that feeling...

Back