SEALs and USCG

There's a discussion going on across the street about this issue. The SEALs think it's a huge cluster f*ck.

There's a discussion going on across the street about this issue. The SEALs think it's a huge cluster f*ck.

Yes, I have been following that thread as well! I'm no SEAL; however, I'm in step with the majority of SEALs and their comments there. I think it's a huge waste of time and $$$. :2c:

From what I understand the CG has a hard time making numbers on its demand for rescue swimmers, now they're gonna cut the pool further and try running them through BUD/S? I don't get it.

Actually I think that conversation going on over there is more about who's wearing the "Trident" and who isn't. :rolleyes:

Not like they haven't already worked together on similar maritime ops, especially VBSS type boardings.

Territorial dispute is what I see over at the other place/forum.

I don't personally see the need to bring Coasties into the BUD/S program. I agree with my son and others in the know, SEALs is a career choice, not a training pipline for a pseudo Special Operations capable unit. Yes, the coaties have maritime security response teams, etc, etc, etc,. However I have to think that their TTP's and SOP's are going to be miles wide apart from the necessity of military vs an law enforcement culture of the USCG. What type of Direct Action (DA) are the coasties going to be involved in ? And , their version of VBSS is not the same TTP's and SOP's as the SEALs. I don't honestly know if the CG would be tasked with CT and AT operations or not. Maybe if it's within U.S. waters ?

How many coasties are going to actually want to go back to the CG after a stint with the Navy SEALs ? I guess that's been factored into the decsision, but how would a force command actually factor that into their decision ?

I agree with my son and others in the know. The best and most efficient way to bring coasties into their own Special Operations capable unit is to bring former SOF/NSW types into a new training program/doctrine and run and dial up their own force using the skill sets that will be necessary to stay within the parameters of their defined mission roles.

Nobody wants two variations of SEALs unless the coasties just want to have their own SOF flag and patch to bear.

My two cents on this...for coasties it's more of an opportunity to gain insight into a culture that the CG has never dealt with before. With the uprising of the DOG and the MSRT, there are a lot of unanswered questions. Everything from our SOP's (which are still being developed) down to what kind of boats we are going to use. Currently at the MSRT we do have prior SOF operators as our "advisors", but it cannot replace actual training/experience. The SEALS are only taking, I think, three people. Two enlisted and one officer. It's not like they're opening it up to everyone. I say let it ride, see what happens. I think it's a really good way for coasties to start devloping their own SOP's and what not for the new CG. And remember the coast guard also likes to "reinvent the wheel", so whatever they may take from the experience, I'm sure the CG will find a way to put their own spin on it.

I would just like to say that what goes on at another place can stay there. We should be smart enough to have our own thoughts on something without regurgitating other's.

Well, if the Coast Guard is trying to create its own special operations unit, or expand on their existing programs (like the MSSTs, MSRTs, or the TACLETs) then it would make sense for them to want to train up their own people to be able to set that stuff up. And who better to learn from than the SEALs?

What's their other option? Borrowing SEALs to train these guys? That makes even less sense. When the Marine Corps, for example, established their first Scout/Sniper School, they had Marines attending Canadian and British Schools to try and learn what they could to bring back to the school. They took a lot of their curriculum from those places.

I would just like to say that what goes on at another place can stay there. We should be smart enough to have our own thoughts on something without regurgitating other's.

I agree. The only reason I brought it up is because we don't have any SEALs on this board to give their POV and I thought other might want to know their thoughts. :2c:

Back