Segway robots train snipers Down Under

QC

1 CDO
Verified SOF
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20002039-1.html

How do you make sniper target practice more helpful and more fun? By shooting at Segway robots, of course.
To train its snipers in realistic conditions, the Australian Department of Defence enlisted the help of Marathon Robotics of Sydney, Australia, to set up a course populated by Segways with plastic, 3D, human-size dummies onboard.
The Segways are programmed to wander around a small village aimlessly, with the robots leaning forward to accelerate and backward to stop, making them harder to hit. When a sniper does pick one of them off, the system provides instant visual feedback by stopping and dropping the mannequin. The robots then all scatter automatically.
The Rover system (PDF) uses GPS and a scanning laser rangefinder for navigation, positioning, and obstacle detection and avoidance.

check the link for some pix

Its a pity I couldn't find footage from the evening news as it looks great in motion. When hit, the top of the target just bends down and pops up again, whist the other targets run around and scatter like headless chooks. It would be a good training implement for others apart from snipers.

Ive seen the footage you are talking about, I actually thought id seen it here but I guess not...

Its a pity I couldn't find footage from the evening news as it looks great in motion. When hit, the top of the target just bends down and pops up again, whist the other targets run around and scatter like headless chooks. It would be a good training implement for others apart from snipers.

Back