SF Recruitment Vision Requirements

Doc_K

Modern Day Cyclops
Verified Military
Hello.

I've got a question about my eligibility for SF recruitment. I'm currently in a medhold unit at BAMC, and the nearest SF recruiters are a couple hours or so worth of a drive away at Ft. Hood. E-mailing and calling the recruiters hasn't worked, so I decided I'd ask you guys on the forum.

But like I stated, I'm at BAMC. The reason I'm here is because, about a year ago now, I was injured in Iraq and lost my left eye to an EFP. I wear glasses, but my vision is still 20/20 correctable in my good eye. From what I understand, the vision requirements state that one must have 20/20 correctable in both eyes. As corny or cliche as it may sound, I've always wanted to be a Special Forces soldier, or at least put forth my best effort to become one. I planned on attending SFAS after my unit returned home, but we see how that worked out.

So be honest and give it to me straight. Does this handicap bar me from doing what I want to do?

I remember reading an article a while back about a fellow soldier who successfully completed Ranger School with one eye, but I'm unsure of just how applicable that is to my situation.

Have you bothered to look at AR40-501? The physical requirements for assignment to the SFQC (and that includes SFAS) are found there. I dont remember the chapter but if you Google it I am sure you will find it.

HTH,

Crip

Not gonna happen. You have to have both eyes.

(3) For Special Forces training: Distant visual acuity of any degree that does not correct to 20/20 in both eyes with spectacle lenses. Any refractive error in spherical equivalent of worse than plus or minus 8 diopters.

No disrespect to Kurt, but I'd wait till I heard it from The Man.

The "regs" are not written in stone. They are , by definition, "Guidelines for the Commander."

Never take a "no" answer from the man who can't say "yes".

So. How about it? How far are you willing to go? How hard are you willing to push? Are you ready to stand tall before CSM Lugo, look him in the eye and make your case as to why you would make a good Special Forces Soldier?

And if he buys it, can you make your case to MG Parker? If you had one shot to state your case, could you make them believe you? And if you did, could you make it stick?

One way to find out.

Never take a "no" answer from the man who can't say "yes".

So. How about it? How far are you willing to go? How hard are you willing to push? Are you ready to stand tall before CSM Lugo, look him in the eye and make your case as to why you would make a good Special Forces Soldier?

One way to find out.

And there you have your answer. Punto.

Write to Maj Castro, he did it, so can you. He's easy to find. :cool:

But you better be ready to run/ruck/shoot with the best to prove you're worthy.

'Men of Honor' comes to mind. Use that.

:2c:

Back