Sharpening a bayonet

SpitfireV

Strike first, strike hard, no mercy!
I've got the chance to buy an AK74 bayonet. I don't HAVE an AK74 but the bayonet would be cool to have :D (Romanian).

Unfortunately it's blunt. How does one sharpen a blade as hard and big as that?

I've got the chance to buy an AK74 bayonet. I don't HAVE an AK74 but the bayonet would be cool to have :D (Romanian).

Unfortunately it's blunt. How does one sharpen a blade as hard and big as that?

I figured with 110 kg of angry Infantryman on the end of my bayonet, all it had to be was sort of pointy at the end and it would do the job without being razor sharp.

Why do you want to sharpen it? No real need for it if you want to put it on display, many more useful field knives if you're looking to carry something.

If you're committed to sharpening it, I suggest putting a rough edge on it with a table grinder, and finishing it off with a whetstone.

Yeah, WTF do you want to sharpen it for?

It's illegal to have a sharp bayonet anyway in the military (some Geneva Convention Bullshit :rolleyes: ) so you'll ruin it's authenticity. :2c:

What are you paying for it?

Our CQMS sharpened all our bayonets then had to dull them all again when it became known to the powers that be, they quoted the convention, I took that as gospel... might not be though.

The Geneva Convention doesn't apply to weapons though. That's the Hauge Convention from memory.

Paying $120NZ for it and they're worth considerably more here. I wanted to sharpen it because I was going to use it also as a general kind of utility knife. I might just save up for a top-ish end Harsey or similar instead.

Supposedly the "blood hole" in it is against some Law Of War, too, but I can't seem to corroborate that.

Hauge was superseded by Geneva IIRC.

(Geneva says you can't even take money from the body of a dead enemy :rolleyes: )

Thats a crappy knife as a utility, get a fucking K-Bar of something like that, they are cheap and good. :2c:

I always thought the two were standalone agreements. Would make an interesting thread (I'll get onto that).

K Bar sounds good actually. Thanks for the advice, T and others.

The last time I touched a bayonet was 98 or 99, it was very sharp. Given America's fascination with lawyers I don't think we would have sharpened bayonets if it were illegal.

I can see him now...

"That's not a knife (reaches under the counter), THIS is a knife!" :D

Yeah, WTF do you want to sharpen it for?

It's illegal to have a sharp bayonet anyway in the military (some Geneva Convention Bullshit :rolleyes: ) so you'll ruin it's authenticity. :2c:

What are you paying for it?

I'd have to check, but I'm going to have to say that's an uban myth, much like the one that says you can't turn a .50 cal on troops, or you can't shoot paratroopers while they're in the air.

The ones we had in the arms room were dull as fuck. Of course the only time I saw them was in there, they were never issued out.

I'd have to check, but I'm going to have to say that's an uban myth, much like the one that says you can't turn a .50 cal on troops, or you can't shoot paratroopers while they're in the air.

LOL, never heard the 50cal or Para thing before.

I did find this online...

The Geneva Convention prohibits use of bayonets having a serrated top edge; however bayonets having a serrated bottom edge or a partially serrated bottom edge is desired.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP1486751.html

Back