Silver Nitrate is Devil's Spit!

Should have just smashed it with a Bible.
Smashing a canker sore with a Bible :-o, good luck with that one. They are generally found somewhere on the Buccal mucosa in the mouth. How you are going to get a bible inside someone's mouth will be a challenge all by itself.

There is an OTC preperation callad Campho-Phenique that works nicely with just a few applications. I must warn you, that is tasts like Lizard piss, but it works pretty well on cankers sores in the mouth. I think a small liquid bottle costs less than $5.00. Silver Nitrate seem to be a little heavy duty for a canker sore.

That's my $.02.

Smashing a canker sore with a Bible, good luck with that one. They are generally found somewhere on the Buccal mucosa in the mouth. How you are going to get a bible inside someone's mouth will be a challenge all by itself.

There is an OTC preperation callad Campho-Phenique that works nicely with just a few applications. I must warn you, that is tasts like Lizard piss, but it works pretty well on cankers sores in the mouth. I think a small liquid bottle costs less than $5.00. Silver Nitrate seem to be a little heavy duty for a canker sore.

That's my $.02.
The original post by Lindy was about a ganglion cyst on the toe. Ganglion cysts were refered to as "Bible bumps", because they would smash them with Bibles.

The original post by Lindy was about a ganglion cyst on the toe. Ganglion cysts were refered to as "Bible bumps", because they would smash them with Bibles.

That was a home remedy that saw widespread use, whith mixed results. When treating the cysts, you have to remove all of the sac, or risk seeing a return of the cyst.

An interesting story was with my daughter who had developed a cyst in her hand, proximal to the ring finger on the palmer surface of her hand. It was present right up to the morning of her planned surgery for the cystectomy. The morning of surgery, it was gone. I have no clue as to how it disappeared, but it was gone, and never came back. I did not wack it with a Bible, of any one of my medical Textbooks. Go figure.

I knew cold sores and herpes would enter the picture. The forum does not disappoint.

I usually rinse with TCP liquid but I'm open to other treatment options. I cut-out toothpaste with SLS and that's helped immensely, but I still develop the ulcers. I have noticed they appear more frequently and with more pain when I'm fighting a cold or some crud. The other usual causes like physical injury also apply. I've had these since I was a kid and their frequency, size, and duration ebb and flow.

I knew cold sores and herpes would enter the picture. The forum does not disappoint.

I usually rinse with TCP liquid but I'm open to other treatment options. I cut-out toothpaste with SLS and that's helped immensely, but I still develop the ulcers. I have noticed they appear more frequently and with more pain when I'm fighting a cold or some crud. The other usual causes like physical injury also apply. I've had these since I was a kid and their frequency, size, and duration ebb and flow.

I have a long painful history with canker sores. I have had them as long as I can remember, however I did see a dramatic downturn in the frequency when I was dipping, don't know why, but it was happening. However the location also changed, where I used to get them in the front of my mouth normally on the inside of the lip, I now get them on the back of my throat and Uvula, and let me tell you, if you think a canker hurts on your lip, imagine it on the thing that dangles in your throat. Even breathing is painful. I've had ones so severe that I was almost bedridden, and had to take Percocet to sleep. Silver Nitrate has cured those problems. If you can stomach the initial pain. Or knock it out early, you can cure the ulcers as soon as you notice them.

I would ask the if you were ever an alter boy but that would derail the thread.

So I won't.

for most instances of any kind of buccal tissue disruption... Eugenol... better know as oil of cloves to those who cook or have kids... it is an amazing topical analgesic/anesthetic, and has antimicrobial/astringent/antiseptic properties too... but alas... it tastes like cloves, very very very very strong cloves....

Not as fun as watching somebody get stung by the AgNO3 monster.... I had to have a few bleeds stopped with it... nosebleeds and a couple of lacerations... shit'll put you in orbit for about 8 seconds.

the back of my throat and Uvula, and let me tell you, if you think a canker hurts on your lip, imagine it on the thing that dangles in your throat. Even breathing is painful.

Several times and as you well know, they suck. Back of throat is okay and manageable, but the uvula makes me want to kick a puppy. The TCP liquid helps a lot and I've also found green tea with some honey added does wonders for canker sores or a sore throat. A salt water gargle helps but not as much as the first two. Ice water temporarily helps with the swelling and pain. On a somewhat disgusting note, I've also found that not brushing my teeth helps when I have an outbreak, but I save that method for really bad cases.

Most of mine are shallow but several times a year they are bad enough they bleed. My personal "best" for number of ulcers at one time is 12. Those ranged from tiny little dots to huge moon craters.

Good times. My thanks to everyone for the recommendations.

I'd rather get slapped with a red hot branding iron rather than have to endure any more applications of silver nitrate. That shit is the devil's spawn......hell, I didn't believe anything could outdo compound Tincture of Benzoin in a blister. :-o

I'd rather get slapped with a red hot branding iron rather than have to endure any more applications of silver nitrate. That shit is the devil's spawn......hell, I didn't believe anything could outdo compound Tincture of Benzoin in a blister. :-o

For anything other than mouth ulcers I would agree. For the tx of mouth ulcers the pain is minimal compared to the pain of no tx.

Try L-Lysine to help with the herp...I mean canker sores. Reportedly works well for some and it's got to beat the hell out of silver nitrate!

Back