Snipers seek better weapons, ammo

I just filled out an intro both short and long and submitted a vetting request. I hope that is sufficient. I am new to this site and am not here most of the day. I only have access when home. So it takes a bit to get caught up. I look forward to future conversations in support of the community.
Red

I would be glad to provide references from members of the community if needed. If you need them I will email the moderator my contact info if needed. I wont release them publicly without permission

We received the references you already forwarded, we'll be back with you about them shortly via private message (PM). Right now there is no need to provide additional references.

I've got about 3 months now in A-stan behind the XM2010. I give it a 10/10, both the optic and the gun are awesome. When the military adopts something else, it better be really good. This thing is going to be around for the long run, like the M24 was.

I've also been using a SCAR-H for over the past two years with a 5-15 Nightforce (H58 reticle) and 45 degree offset red dot. The SCAR-H is money, it shoots 1 MOA no problem and is much lighter and easy to handle than an M110- I take the bipod and suppressor off of it and it handles almost as well as an M4. It sucks that there are snipers out there who are forced to use 7.62 bolt guns.

I've got about 3 months now in A-stan behind the XM2010. I give it a 10/10, both the optic and the gun are awesome. When the military adopts something else, it better be really good. This thing is going to be around for the long run, like the M24 was.

I've also been using a SCAR-H for over the past two years with a 5-15 Nightforce (H58 reticle) and 45 degree offset red dot. The SCAR-H is money, it shoots 1 MOA no problem and is much lighter and easy to handle than an M110- I take the bipod and suppressor off of it and it handles almost as well as an M4. It sucks that there are snipers out there who are forced to use 7.62 bolt guns.

What is the SCAR-H like for recoil? Ive heard different things.

what recoil?

Ah, you have one right? Yeah the guy who told me it kicked a lot was kinda small so I thought that might be part of the equation.

Does it have more or less recoil than other 7.62 rifles you've used, or just the same?

What is the SCAR-H like for recoil? Ive heard different things.
Not much with the suppressor on, it does kick a bit without it. It does move around a lot though, since it's a gas piston gun and has a lot of reciprocating mass.

Compared to M1A's, FAL's and G3's it's got less recoil IMHO. It's been quite some time since I was behind an SR-25 for anything so I wouldn't feel comfortable saying one way or the other.

The 17S does have a different muzzle device though, comes with an actual brake vs the Mk17. I'd be really happy if there was a suppressor that actually would interface with the stock brake vs having to change it out for *whatever*. It works very well.

Not much with the suppressor on, it does kick a bit without it. It does move around a lot though, since it's a gas piston gun and has a lot of reciprocating mass.

Compared to M1A's, FAL's and G3's it's got less recoil IMHO. It's been quite some time since I was behind an SR-25 for anything so I wouldn't feel comfortable saying one way or the other.

The 17S does have a different muzzle device though, comes with an actual brake vs the Mk17. I'd be really happy if there was a suppressor that actually would interface with the stock brake vs having to change it out for *whatever*. It works very well.

Thanks guys.

As far as comparing it to current rifles, I'd say it has less than an M24 and more than an M110/SR-25.

All the guys with my team that run the Mk 17 (SCAR-H) love it. Its light and packs a punch, but that light weight also is a draw back because it moves around when you really start going to town. I tried to grab one to run as my primary over my SB SASS, but of course the response to that was "fuck you sniper you already got four guns, not including pistols". So I maned up and just patrol with my shorty M4/MK-13 or SB SASS, which I really don't have too many complaints about minus the weight and lack of forward assist. Other than that throw a black bird II on it and anything within 1100m is up for grabs.

Ouch! :D Sorry, I was stating the M40 was effective compared to the 110; as in it doesn't jump up to 1.5 MOA after firing a few rounds, isn't squirrly in the 400 to 500m range and doesn't have multiple equipment failures. The experienced guys in my team have all stated the M24 was a much more effective system then the 110. That said, I was clearly out of my depth and apologize.
I do ask if scenarios like Afghanistan are going to be common in the future?
Reed

No worries, just one of those things that's near and dear to my heart.

To your question I would say that scenarios like Afghanistan (in terms of target range) have been present for sometime. In previous wars going all the way back to WWII there have been plenty of times where Snipers have had the enemy in their scope but they were just out of range. The only reason it wasn't as big of a deal as it is now is because there would be plenty of enemy who were in range so the body counts just kept coming. Now you have an enemy that uses their ability to observe and shoot at you from the distant mountain tops as the standard as opposed to the exception.

SSgt Gillilands shot in Iraq is a good example where even in an urban environment you can have targets out at extreme ranges. In his own words he was completely lucky to make that shot with an M24, where as had he had a .300 or .338 it wouldn't have been a matter of luck only a matter of proper DOPE on the scope. With modern training, and tactics the only thing really holding a Sniper back is the equipment he has access to. As I said give me a M40 and on a calm day with plenty of data on that rifle I can get a first round hit on a 1000m target, throw in some gusting 10-15mph wind and my odds to hit just dropped to 40%. Give me the same senario with a .300 or better yet a .338 and even with wind I've got a pretty high probability to get rounds on target out to at least 1500m if not 2k.

So while in no way am I saying Snipers should have nothing but 1500m bolt guns, I am saying that there is a huge capability and accuracy gap between the .308 bolt gun and the M107, which for the longest time was the answer given to Sniper when they said they needed more range.

Back