Some good advice..

Unless there's a link to an article, I tend to ignore it, as there is no source.

Most common S&S I saw with MI pts was the greyish color and the feeling of an elephant on their chest.

Pardus...

Good to know I'm not going against the internet mythbusters ;) ... lol

Doc Rogers...

Yup very sure it was V-Tach. I have actually seen a number of patients with V-Tach and a pulse in my career... but only that one coughed himself out of it!

By the way... there is good evidence from a recent retrospective study at an academic medical center that Amiodarone does not have much effect for V-Tach with a pulse and lidocaine should be the drug of choice to break the dysrhythmia. V-Tach without a pulse is still dealer's choice (but I personally am still a fan of "old school" lidocaine).

Alvitr...

Depends on what you drink with your meal... high carb drinks such as soda are certainly going to lead to larger swings in insulin levels then drinking plain water.

Weight control/insulin levels/glycemic index etc. means different things to different people as there is no "ideal" diet. It is complex interaction between genetics, social context, a person's rate of metabolism, access to food, etc. that determines the best (or most realistic) diet for a specific person... and there are MANY different views on this subject depending on the expert speaking. The importance is to incorporate what you eat into your lifestyle... eat a balanced diet, exercise, avoid articifical additives and chemicals when you can, and work with a doctor or nutritionist if help is needed figuring out what the best plan is for you.

For heaven sakes a cold beer with a good steak is going to kill me. Guess I am going to die

You wont get out of this life alive anyway. Last time I checked, life was 100% fatal in 100% of the people 100% of the time. My father is 84. They found he had high cholesterol and told him a list of foods he can't eat. He's depressed about that. Now health and nutrition is my business, and it's what I research and write about, and I told him "dad, you're 84 and have not had a heart attack yet, nor does heart disease run in the family, so eat what ever the fu&^ you want."

ACLS lists amio as a class B recommendation (likely to help) and lidocaine as "class interderminate."

What is frustrating about this is we have all seen lidocaine work for years -- and you can't study it now because no IRB (institutional research board -- a bunch of suits that determine if your research study is safe) is going to ethically allow you to withold lidocaine from someone. So it received this awkward label, and people started using amio as it was the sexy new drug that had a great PR department.

Don't get me wrong, amio is GREAT for rhythms that are not clearly vetricular, rhythms resistant to other anti-arrythmics (those who bought procainimide stock are SOL), or abberant superventricular rhythms like WPW with a fast ventricular response. But it's right drug for the right rhythm, and in my opinion purely ventricular rhythms should be treated with lidocaine.

EMSDoc :cool:

Back