SOST podcast

I only discovered SOST recently so I have been trying to make sure I read what's out there before asking a ton of questions. Though, I am curious how realistic it is to enter the AF expecting to get an opportunity to attend selection in a 3-5 year time frame? If there are only 5 teams and 5 EM physicians slots what is the turn over rate like? Second to that how many physicians are actually interested in high tempo operational gig like SOST? I have no issue with competition and only being selected if I'm the best candidate for the job but if there is only one spot opening every couple years with several hundred docs gunning for it, it just might not be in the cards.

Would doing a civilian EM residency at one of the trauma centers that SOST is attached to (such as UAB) be beneficial from a networking standpoint? I have heard that SOF communities are very tight-knit and sometimes it's just about who you know.

@amlove21 @SOSTCRNA If yall have any input, I would be grateful to hear it.

Well lots of ER docs get out as soon as their payback is over so slots do open up, no guarantees though. Apply for the residencies that best fit your needs and learn how to be a stud EM Physicisn cause that is the most important criteria for being part of SOST, JMAU, GHOST, FST, ETC... Selections are more formalized then they used to be and how you do is more important than who you know.

Well lots of ER docs get out as soon as their payback is over so slots do open up, no guarantees though. Apply for the residencies that best fit your needs and learn how to be a stud EM Physicisn cause that is the most important criteria for being part of SOST, JMAU, GHOST, FST, ETC... Selections are more formalized then they used to be and how you do is more important than who you know.
^^^^

This. I am in no way the subject matter expert here- I just happen to know how to interview them. 8-)

I can say this- I am not 100% sure of the selection numbers, but it is most certainly not "hundreds" of docs going out for the AF program every year.

What about for CRNAs? Do they have a relatively similar rate of turn-over?

What about for CRNAs? Do they have a relatively similar rate of turn-over?
Hard to say now as it is more formalized and SOST CRNAs are subject to the normal rotations as other AF CRNAs. Not sure if they can extend or not these days but there are more slots than before, but bottom line is the slots are competitive and you may have to wait to get a chance and may not get picked up. But it’s definitely worth a shot.

Back