SOTA?

Diamondback 2/2

Infantry
Verified Military
SSMP
Military Mentor
I have talked with NG / SF soldiers in the past about support elements for SF Btn, Co level. I would like to know more about the role of SOTA and requirements to get on a SOTA team. I understand people need to follow OPSEC, so any of the following would be helpful.

Type of mission.
What level is SOTA at Company or Battalion
Type of MOS/ training.
Type of deployment cycles for (National Guard)
Prerequisites for to join SOTA.

Also any other information, in regards to support type units with in the NG SF community…

Thank you for any help.

Type of mission.
What level is SOTA at Company or Battalion
Type of MOS/ training.
Type of deployment cycles for (National Guard)
Prerequisites for to join SOTA.

Msn: Low-level voice intercept (LLVI)/electronic direction finding
Level: SOT-A's are at the Bn. I pulled them up to the Groups when I was in charge of SOF SIGINT at USASOC, and they burned me in effigy. }:-)
MOS: Mostly 35P (voice intercept operator/cryptologic linguist)/language training at Defense Language Institute, Monterey, CA, then technical MOS training at Goodfellow AFB, TX.
- Don't know deployment cycles
Experience: Usually should have a few years experience in conventional LLVI, but may be different in the NG.

I'm active duty and have only worked with NG HUMINTers, but I've managed LLVI and fed Soldiers to active duty SOT-A's for years.

Msn: Low-level voice intercept (LLVI)/electronic direction finding
Level: SOT-A's are at the Bn. I pulled them up to the Groups when I was in charge of SOF SIGINT at USASOC, and they burned me in effigy. }:-)
MOS: Mostly 35P (voice intercept operator/cryptologic linguist)/language training at Defense Language Institute, Monterey, CA, then technical MOS training at Goodfellow AFB, TX.
- Don't know deployment cycles
Experience: Usually should have a few years experience in conventional LLVI, but may be different in the NG.

I'm active duty and have only worked with NG HUMINTers, but I've managed LLVI and fed Soldiers to active duty SOT-A's for years.

MOS 35P - - Multiple Launch Rocket System Repairer????

Roger that, thanks for the info...

Is this a TS required MOS?

What is the break down of a SOT-A team? How many soldier on a team? Types of background of soldiers on a team? Is it all MI type guys, or is there combat arms who have reclassed?

Roger that, thanks for the info...

Is this a TS required MOS?

What is the break down of a SOT-A team? How many soldier on a team? Types of background of soldiers on a team? Is it all MI type guys, or is there combat arms who have reclassed?

TS w/SCI access. Not sure how many are on the teams now - they were authorized six when I was over there, but usually only got four. All Soldiers on the team are MI. Must Airborne qualified. They have whatever "hard" skills they bring with them from other tactical assignments, and they do some training when they get to their team.

Aren't these "V" coded positions too?

Didn't go there because "sonnyboy" wouldn't know what I was talking about, and wouldn't be there any time soon. :D But, yeah. The team leader and A/TL were. It gave us an "in" to get our guys some hard skills that the 18's complained they didn't have - fieldcraft - and then those two could train the rest of the team. There's a novel concept >:{. I don't know if they are now or not.

Didn't go there because "sonnyboy" wouldn't know what I was talking about, and wouldn't be there any time soon. :D

I don’t want to come off as that asshole of a guy who gets in to forum arguments. Mainly b/c that’s not why I am here. However, I am only guessing the “sunny boy” comment was referred towards me.

I do know what a “V” ASI is (Airborne Ranger Q) I also know what a “G” ASI is (Non Airborne, Ranger Q)

But to break down my reasons for my questions, is to get more information on what a possible next job could be. I am not motivated to be a SF soldier at this point in my life, mainly b/c of my family. I don’t have the internal drive anymore and the wife and little girl being born in 2 weeks, do not deserve that. I simply want to sever with a better group of soldiers then what I have in the past.

Just thought SOT-A could be something Hi Speed to get into, with out leaving my Family on the back burner. Maybe not, I wont know until I get more info. Hints the questions!

I apologies for coming off as a turd by asking these questions, it wont happen again….

You're good, JAB. No worries. I think with the run of kids we've had lately that car may have missed that you are prior service.

I don’t want to come off as that asshole of a guy who gets in to forum arguments. Mainly b/c that’s not why I am here. However, I am only guessing the “sunny boy” comment was referred towards me.

I do know what a “V” ASI is (Airborne Ranger Q) I also know what a “G” ASI is (Non Airborne, Ranger Q)

But to break down my reasons for my questions, is to get more information on what a possible next job could be. I am not motivated to be a SF soldier at this point in my life, mainly b/c of my family. I don’t have the internal drive anymore and the wife and little girl being born in 2 weeks, do not deserve that. I simply want to sever with a better group of soldiers then what I have in the past.

Just thought SOT-A could be something Hi Speed to get into, with out leaving my Family on the back burner. Maybe not, I wont know until I get more info. Hints the questions!

I apologies for coming off as a turd by asking these questions, it wont happen again….

No!

Forgive me. The "sonny boy" monicker is because of your youth. I'm trying to give you as much information as I can, without breaking OPSEC, so that you can make an informed decision - or maybe realize that this (MI) line of work isn't for you.

I'm always looking for folks to join our Corps.

A SOT-A is a great place to be. But you don't get to go there straight out of school. I thought I made that clear - get some experience in a conventional unit doing LLVI work, and get a rep as a steady, calm, clear-thinking Soldier.

"Hey, guys, I've got one for ya...."

You're fine, Sonny Boy :D, I'll help you find out what you want to know.

You can go straight to a SOT-A in the Guard, SGM. It is a 2-3 year process due to the clearances and all, but I've seen it done numerous times.

No!

Forgive me. The "sonny boy" monicker is because of your youth. I'm trying to give you as much information as I can, without breaking OPSEC, so that you can make an informed decision - or maybe realize that this (MI) line of work isn't for you.

I'm always looking for folks to join our Corps.

A SOT-A is a great place to be. But you don't get to go there straight out of school. I thought I made that clear - get some experience in a conventional unit doing LLVI work, and get a rep as a steady, calm, clear-thinking Soldier.

"Hey, guys, I've got one for ya...."

You're fine, Sonny Boy :D, I'll help you find out what you want to know.

No worries, my mis understanding. Thank you for all the information...

. I am not motivated to be a SF soldier at this point in my life, mainly b/c of my family. I don’t have the internal drive anymore and the wife and little girl being born in 2 weeks, do not deserve that. I simply want to sever with a better group of soldiers then what I have in the past.

Just thought SOT-A could be something Hi Speed to get into, with out leaving my Family on the back burner.

Then definitely don't go SOT-A. They get a lot of quick turn deployments and go to the field a lot, it requires the same internal drive as an SF soldier, with a different set of skills, and if you are focused on something other than being able to support your assigned mission, you're better off not even trying.

No disparagement on your military bearing, or your qualifications as an MI guy... This is from somebody who has gone to the field with both good and bad and indifferent SOT-A assets. The best reclassed into 18 series, or got constantly reassigned to the same SF Group for multiple tours. The worst, immediate reassignment, and in one case injured so badly in the field that a military career ended.

SOT-A requires the same dedication as the guys you are supporting, and the willingness to train and deploy with no outside worries.

Then definitely don't go SOT-A. They get a lot of quick turn deployments and go to the field a lot, it requires the same internal drive as an SF soldier, with a different set of skills, and if you are focused on something other than being able to support your assigned mission, you're better off not even trying.

No disparagement on your military bearing, or your qualifications as an MI guy... This is from somebody who has gone to the field with both good and bad and indifferent SOT-A assets. The best reclassed into 18 series, or got constantly reassigned to the same SF Group for multiple tours. The worst, immediate reassignment, and in one case injured so badly in the field that a military career ended.

SOT-A requires the same dedication as the guys you are supporting, and the willingness to train and deploy with no outside worries.

x2

The "little troll" :D speaks the truth.

If ya can't commit, totally, then don't come! That's the "no shit" truth.

If ya can't commit, totally, then don't come! That's the "no shit" truth.

J.A.B - SOT-A is SF, just a different part. In some ways harder, because very few MI assets get to go to the Q course - a few have, very few, but they get tasked to go to the Teams, as an 18 series MOS, and 5 maybe as long as 10 years later get back to SOT-A in a Sr NCO role in the MI det.

Rethink what you want to do, and how you want to get there. If it's all about "high-speed" while spending time at home (your own arguments) - please do not choose SF or SOF support, for your sanity and the safety of my brothers.

I won't chime in on the SOT-A questions, but will on the Guard piece. My unit has had three mob cycles since 2002. 9-12 month on, 18-24 off. Are you willing to mob every couple of year for 9-12 months?

My Mob medal has the number 5 on it, do the math.

Our mobs don't takes us away as long, but there is ALOT of work getting ready for that mob. I averaged 100 days a year (UTA's AT's Schools, other), will your wife support that?

RC SOF is as engaged as the active guys.

Hey guys, thanks for the information. It sounds to me that it is not for me at all. I guess my ideas of trying to hold on to some form of “Hi Speed” and balance a life out side of the Army are a little twisted. Again I thank you for all the great advice, and feel a little silly for even posting the topic. I guess I was just a little on the delusional side.:doh:

Thanks for the wake up….

Hey, if you don't ask then you won't know. Better to find out now than when you've already committed. I went to OCS with a guy that hadn't thought out the schools he needed and time away from his family and work for them. When he did, he dropped it and went back to being an NCO, something I totally support. I'd rather he make the decision early rather than too late.

Back