Space Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBS

Leatherneck
Verified Military
WASHINGTON — The Pentagon wants to rocket troops through space to hot spots anywhere on the globe within two hours, and planners spent two days last month discussing how to do it, military documents show.

Civilian and military officials held a two-day conference at the National Security Space Office to plan development of the Small Unit Space Transport and Insertion (SUSTAIN) program. The invitation to the conference called the notion of space troopers a "potential revolutionary step in getting combat power to any point in the world in a timeframe unachievable today." Attendees included senior Army, Marine, Navy and Air Force officers.

The next steps toward getting troops in space: addressing the technological challenges and seeking input from the military, said Air Force Lt. Col. Mark Brown, a space office spokesman. No further meetings have been scheduled.

Marines launched the concept after the Sept. 11 terror attacks. They needed the "capability to transport small, mission-tailored units through space from any point on the globe to a contingency at any other point on the globe" within minutes of an order, according to a Marine document.
Some critics are skeptical. The concept defies physics and the reality of what a small number of lightly armed troops could accomplish in enemy territory, said John Pike, a military analyst who runs Globalsecurity.org.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2008-10-14-spacetroopers_N.htm

Although it is still merely a concept, I have read that experts agree it is theoretically possible to do this.

I could also see an application for this- probably the only application that would justify the cost: nuclear interdiction.

If assets positively confirmed a loose nuclear weapon at a given location- for example being whisked away by terrorists or a paramilitary group- there would probably be a very limited amount of time to respond. In such a case, it would be worth trying to get a couple of these launched to stop them.

Pretty amazing concept.

Wow, amazing stuff. The only thing better would be a transporter like in Star Trek "......beam me up Scotty!"

Although it is still merely a concept, I have read that experts agree it is theoretically possible to do this.

Its more than theory this has been happening for many years to differing degrees.

Space shuttle, SR71

This would not be difficult to achieve.

Wow, amazing stuff. The only thing better would be a transporter like in Star Trek "......beam me up Scotty!"

They have already transported an object. :cool:

I did get to spend some time with the boys from Beale AFB....those Blackbirds are F'ing unbelievable. And just think, they retired them! ;)

If it actually develops into more than an idea, I'd volunteer for it.

Airborne all the way. :)

"That's it man, game over man, game over! What the fuck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?"

Attachments

• Bill-Paxton---Aliens--C10103879.jpg
    Bill-Paxton---Aliens--C10103879.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 31
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back