Speaking of color photos...

Gunz

Combined Action
Verified Military
These are actual kodachrome color photos of the beginning of the assault on Iwo Jima, taken by a shipboard Naval officer that morning.

The battleship is the USS Tennessee bombarding Mt Suribachi. When I first saw these they really hit me in the gut. So vivid you can almost smell the salt air and smoke. Iwo was an unusually panoramic event, one of the few huge battles of WW2 where observers could see most of the battlefield. The scope is hard to imagine nowadays. Twenty-nine days fighting on a speck of land a few miles long; 19,000 Japanese and 6,800 US Marines, Sailors and Soldiers dead.

tennessee.jpg

landingcraft.jpg

iwo1.jpg

These are chillingly amazing... and to think about that much loss of life on a battlefield of those dimensions is hard to imagine..... reminds me of some of the Russian battles against the Nazis in WW2, those numbers KIA compared to the battlefield size is hard to imagine... Great pictures!

Some more really cool pics...There are 6 of them, but too large to paste into one post. Worth checking out though...below is one of them...

<these were originally black-and-white, and have been colorized>

See 6 Incredible World War II Photos In Color

1. Soldiers from C Company, 36th Armored Infantry Regiment, 9th Infantry Division, in Germany, Dec. 11, 1944.
18618885933_20b374a1ad_h.jpg

Very cool, Rah.

Color photo and movie film existed since the 1930s. It seems funny to me that it wasn't used much during the war. I've seen color gun-camera footage from aircraft, but not much. Was it too expensive or hard to get?

I found a few more. Not only that but Getty Images has a collection of color motion pics from Iwo. Sorry some are so small. This first pic, Suribachi is on the far left, shrouded in smoke. One hot beach, baby.

i04311k.jpg

images-2.jpeg

images-3.jpeg

images-5.jpeg

Back