Special Forces- Army National Guard

Taskforce8

Unverified
Hi,

I have been thinking about joining the National Guard to try the Special Forces under the REP-63 but I'm concerned about some issues.
First of all, I have a fucked left shoulder due to rotator cuff injury. Second, I'm taking an antidepressant for some of my conditions. I have already been approached by a Special Forces recruiter for National Guard and he said it might cause some issue but he wasn't entirely sure.

The main question is, what are my options if I don't make it in the SFAS or SFQC ? will I be stuck in an infantry unit? Can I transfer to a SOF support group ?

Thanks all

These should be all questions that your recruiter can clear up.

But from my contact with 19th group in Utah:
  • I was told that if I fail SFAS I can attend again, as many times as I would like, provided that I don't get a drop from SFAS that says I can't return.
  • If you fail selection or Q course you'll go back to a slot in your state where they have room. This could be with a support group. If you're put in a non support group you could transfer to a support group provided they have a slot for your MOS/grade and your CoC allows it.
As for your other questions:
  • Have you had surgery/other medical work on your shoulder? If so you'll likely need to get a MEPS your medical data and may need a waiver. The more important question however is - does this give you pain? Will your shoulder stand-up when you're massively over-trained and fatigued? I also have some rotator cuff issues from years of weight-lifting without doing mobility work. Part of my train-up is spending time everyday to stretch and do shoulder rehab exercises so that it won't degenerate into a serious problem in training. It's going to take me probably a year of doing this before I feel confident that it's resolved. Mobility issues can take a long time to correct so I'd start on it ASAP.
  • From everything I've read you need to be completely off medications before you can ship off and likely they'll want you to be off meds for a year plus before they'll pass you at MEPS. Again, your recruiter would know best, but that's the info I've gathered from across the net.

@Taskforce8 -

You have recently changed your avatar to one that would insinuate you were, or are a Green Beret. Since that is not the case, please change it back to something that conforms to site rules. (specifically one that does not represent you as a member of a military unit that you were not a member of)

Thank you.

I wa
These should be all questions that your recruiter can clear up.

• I was told that if I fail SFAS I can attend again, as many times as I would like, provided that I don't get a drop from SFAS that says I can't return.
  • If you fail selection or Q course you'll go back to a slot in your state where they have room. This could be with a support group. If you're put in a non support group you could transfer to a support group provided they have a slot for your MOS/grade and your CoC allows it.
As for your other questions:
  • Have you had surgery/other medical work on your shoulder? If so you'll likely need to get a MEPS your medical data and may need a waiver. The more important question however is - does this give you pain? Will your shoulder stand-up when you're massively over-trained and fatigued? I also have some rotator cuff issues from years of weight-lifting without doing mobility work. Part of my train-up is spending time everyday to stretch and do shoulder rehab exercises so that it won't degenerate into a serious problem in training. It's going to take me probably a year of doing this before I feel confident that it's resolved. Mobility issues can take a long time to correct so I'd start on it ASAP.
  • From everything I've read you need to be completely off medications before you can ship off and likely they'll want you to be off meds for a year plus before they'll pass you at MEPS. Again, your recruiter would know best, but that's the info I've gathered from across the net.
  • These should be all questions that your recruiter can clear up.

[*]As for your other questions:
    [*]
    The recruiter told me that he will catch up with me in a couple of months and provide more in-depth details regarding some of the stuff that I asked that includes the medication and my condition.
  • I never had surgery but I'm thinking about getting one because I feel it has affected my left lat and triceps muscle as well. I have destroyed left shoulder in the past couple of years with heavy workouts and not recuperating properly. Repetitive movements make it painful, which I assume will lead me to an absolute failure if I go for the assessment.

Thanks a lot for the thorough information and the advice.

@Taskforce8 -

You have recently changed your avatar to one that would insinuate you were, or are a Green Beret. Since that is not the case, please change it back to something that conforms to site rules. (specifically one that does not represent you as a member of a military unit that you were not a member of)

Thank you.

No offense but this doesn't represent any unit or military branch. It's not even an unofficial patch for any Green Beret. It doesn't insinuate anything. I have not read the forum rule so I'm unaware of issues like this.

How the hell am I gonna change the tattoo on my arm? lol

Thank you

No offense but this doesn't represent any unit or military branch. It's not even an unofficial patch for any Green Beret. It doesn't insinuate anything. I have not read the forum rule so I'm unaware of issues like this.

How the hell am I gonna change the tattoo on my arm? lol

Thank you

You're gonna need a knife and a lot of liquor.
Godspeed, never quit.

Back