Special Forces hone skills, teamwork in Nevada

Trip_Wire

Special Forces
Rest In Peace
Special Forces hone skills, teamwork in Nevada
By KEVIN MAURER
Associated Press Writer

HAWTHORNE ARMY DEPOT, Nev. (AP) -- The roadside explosion wasn't real. Neither was the shrapnel that "shredded" the driver's chest and leg, nor the blood that flowed from his "wounds."

But the pressure on rookie Special Forces medic Sgt. Nick Capuano was brutal.

Link to article:

http://hosted.ap.org:80/dynamic/sto...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2008-11-25-15-03-20

Attachments

• f653d137-70e6-45a0-abd2-36aa9bad79f9-big.jpg
    f653d137-70e6-45a0-abd2-36aa9bad79f9-big.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 188
Great story !!

I'd like to hear some of the medics take on the pre-deployment confidence work up. Crip ? X_SF_ MED ? Ajax ?

awesome article. I am assuming that new team leaders are evaluated in the same manner? Comments?

It all depends on what type of PMT you're doing, how much money you have, where you're doing it at, and whether or not you're assigned to an active duty SF unit.

For example our last trip, my company was assigned to an active duty bn and our sister company was assigned to a different active duty bn, but in the same Group. We did a CTC rotation since our active duty bn was doing one, while our sister company did not.

The trip before that, we did a bunch of certification exercises, FMP's and other stuff.

Like my brother was saying it really depends on where you are going and what you will be doing there and who you are going with (for NG SF).

Last year before leaving for South America my SF company did SFAUC, and some language training even though we wanted to do some jungle training (I would have thought it would be a given but guess not) since it has been a while since we were down there. In addition, we squeezed in TCCC for everyone on my ODA and some "other" medical training along with sending a couple guys to some special schools but that was it.

My take on it is the training should fit the environment and encompass every skill on the team...

Crip

...But the pressure on rookie Special Forces medic Sgt. Nick Capuano was brutal.

Link to article:

http://hosted.ap.org:80/dynamic/sto...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2008-11-25-15-03-20

Which must be why that TQ is on the pt's knee.

I'm sure the PMT at HDSOC is good. My experience there has been on the otherside of the house, so I haven't seen it. I've heard good things. I will say they need to bring myself and a couple equestrian-minded individuals from my company down to put our two cents in on the mounted training. Ruck sacks should not be worn while ridiing. (Just throwing that out there for whoever)

Back