Special Forces Soldiers die from non-battle incident

trumpet002vw9.jpg

A bugler plays "Taps" after the firing of the volleys during a memorial ceremony held Thursday, July 17 for Master Sergeant Shawn Simmons, Sergeant First Class Jeffrey Rada, and Sergeant James Treber at John F. Kennedy Chapel, Fort Bragg, North Carolina. (Photo by PV2 Kristina Thrasher)

Special Forces Soldier died while saving teammate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELEASE NUMBER: 080821-01
DATE POSTED: AUGUST 21, 2008

Quote:
Special Forces Soldier died while saving teammate
USASFC Public Affairs Office

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, Aug. 21, 2008) – An Army Special Forces Soldier died heroically in a June vehicle accident when he gave his life to save a comrade from drowning in Afghanistan, according to the lone surviving Soldier from the vehicle accident.

Master Sgt. Shawn E. Simmons, Sgt. 1st Class Jeffrey M. Rada Morales and Sgt. James M. Treber, all from Company A, 1st Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne), drowned June 29 when, under the cover of darkness, their heavily armored vehicle (RG-31) dropped off a narrow, unimproved dirt road and rolled upside down into a water-filled canal.

Following recovery efforts performed by the rest of the combat convoy, Sgt. 1st Class Joseph A. Serna, was found alive but suffering from hypothermia and hypoxia.

An investigation into the events that led to the rollover of their RG-31 Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle (MRAP) was conducted by the Combined Joint Task Force – 101, the American, division-sized task force in eastern Afghanistan. The results of that investigation have been formally briefed to the primary next of kin of the deceased Soldiers.

Serna’s sworn statement concerning the accident reveals that, in the immediate aftermath of the rollover, he was trapped in the passenger compartment by ammunition cans and unable to free himself as water began filling the vehicle.

“I was covered in ammo cans so I couldn’t release my seatbelt, at which time the water began to fill up inside the cab (and) I became totally submerged in my seat,” Serna said in his statement. “I felt a hand come down and unfasten my seatbelt and release my body armor. Sergeant Treber picked me up and moved me to a small pocket of air.”

That air pocket originally was Treber's, who had been sitting one seat ahead of Serna during the operation. However, once Treber freed Serna from where he was trapped, he left that air pocket to Serna after determining that there was not enough air in that particular pocket for both men to breathe as the two struggled in the darkness against frigid and rising water.

“He knew there was not enough room for both of us to breathe so he went under water to find another pocket of air,” Serna stated. “Once he reemerged we attempted to open the door and hatches with no success.”

Serna’s statement indicates that he blacked out shortly thereafter and, before his comrades were able to save them, Treber, Simmons and Rada Morales all died.

“Sergeant Treber’s selfless actions are in keeping with those traditions internalized within the ranks of our Regiment,” stated Brig. Gen. Michael S. Repass, Commanding General, U.S. Army Special Forces Command located at Fort Bragg, N.C. “Valor and sacrifice were not mere words to Sergeant Treber. Rather, he lost his life living the Warrior Ethos. The great sacrifice and courage which Soldiers like Sergeant Treber exhibit each day inspire us to protect the values and ideals of this great country.”

At the 7th SFG(A) unit memorial ceremony July 17, Treber was remembered as a hero that gave his all even though it may have contributed to his death.

The Commander 7th SFG (A), and also Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force – Afghanistan, Col. Sean P. Mulholland, was unable to attend the unit memorial ceremony at Fort Bragg but provided his comments to be read during the ceremony.

“Shawn (Simmons), Jeffrey (Rada Morales) and James (Treber) believed in what our country stands for, and lived their (lives) to the utmost,” said Mulholland’s statement. “Their courage, dedication, commitment, heroism and lives will always remain present in our minds and hearts…”

Treber’s Operational Detachment Alpha commander in Afghanistan, Capt. Casey Galligan, was also not able to make it to the unit memorial. His personal statement was read during the ceremony as well. It said he felt blessed to have had Sgt. Treber on his team.

During his short time in the detachment “we watched Sgt. Treber become a man,” Galligan said. “A man that gave his life to same another; there is no greater action or sacrifice.”

One of Treber’s teammates made the trip back from Afghanistan to speak at the unit memorial. His comments were some of the most emotional during the event.
“The most important thing I will always remember (James) Treber for, and I will think about everyday, are his final actions on that fateful night,” stated Staff Sgt. Jonathan Davis, an ODA teammate that was in the convoy the night the accident occurred. “(James) Treber saved my teammate’s life, for that, I will forever be grateful.”
Half of Treber’s cremated remains were interned in a memorial wall, in keeping with his wishes, after a service with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery. Treber's wife keeps the other half in an urn at their home.

Serna has recovered from his injuries and is back serving with his unit in Afghanistan.
--usasoc--

RIP Warriors...
MSG Simmons was a mentor to me during my time time in the Q- course. Prayers out to his family.

Back