Special Forces unit learns 'Horsemanship 101'

I heard Patton was a pretty good Polo player, he used to play it when he was stationed at Ft. Sheridan, or so I've heard.

Probably designed that crazy looking Tanker uniform after getting zonked on the head during a chukker.

That sounds about right, the polo part and the Green Hornet tanker outfit he designed.

Looks like Keith Idema :D

Is it?

I remember seeing a larger frame of that photo in which it appeared there were quite a few Americans playing, this guy among them. It never seemed like Idema was part of any larger group.

I'm not quite sure what Idema looks like, the pictures I've seen always look slightly out of focus.

That sounds about right, the polo part and the Green Hornet tanker outfit he designed.

I've seen the actual picture of that prototype uniform somewhere. I think it had a gold helmet, and a lot of crazy colors and brass buttons on the rest of the uniform.

This brings up some memories. Back in 2002 in OEF, there was a team in my SF BN who did a mission with horses. I remember laughing about their trainup since most of the horses in A-stan were really like ponies. So picture some Americans trying to ride donkeys and that's what you get!!!

Oh yeah, my some of the guys in my team went to a MTT packmule class back in 2004 or 2005. When I first read that article, I thought that was the class until I read the location.

BTW, last time I checked the Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center in Bridgeport was still teaching Marines how to load pack mules.

It seemed kind of stupid when I was a lance coolie. Guess they showed me...

Here is a pic from Robin Sage circa Mar '06.

Still teaching Horse and mule usage in the SFQC, atleast to the medics...

Crip sends...

Attachments

• mules.jpg
    mules.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 50
When my brother (USMC) was training up before we went back into Iraq he did a couple of weeks of mule packing in northern california. He said it was a good time. We both grew up riding horses off and on, so it wasn't anything new, just something cool uncle sam paid you to do.

I heard Patton was a pretty good Polo player, he used to play it when he was stationed at Ft. Sheridan, or so I've heard...Probably designed that crazy looking Tanker uniform after getting zonked on the head during a chukker.
As we discussed a few months ago, Paddlefoot, my dad was born in Ft. Sheridan when my grandfather was stationed there in 1931. I'll ask my dad if he knows whether my grandfather played polo there or not. Another thing that I don't know is whether my grandfather had any experience riding horses growing up; although I assume that he did because he grew up on a farm in rural Louisiana.

My great uncle was on Patton's staff during WWII. He told me in the mid 1970's that the George C. Scott portrayal wasn't too far from the truth. My great uncle died during the late 1980's. Damn I wish I could ask him more questions about his experiences now... :(

There's still regular training for the AD SF units in packing/riding etc.

Used to be a vet and a vet tech assigned to each of the SF groups. Did away with that back in the late 70's.

In my day, they pulled over the docs and techs that had the clearances whenever/wherever they needed them. Don't know if that's changed.

I was headed to farrier school when I got orders for Germany. I chose Germany - still not sure that was the right choice. :-x

LL

Another interesting historical fact along these lines is that in 1916 a German sabotage ring attempted to contaminate a herd of mules destined for the European front in WWI with anthrax. The biological attack was targeted for a location in Virginia, but failed because the saboteurs didn't know how to weaponize the disease. I have copies of the Baltimore Sun describing what happened, and it may be the last copies of those issues left as the original documents were on rapidly deteriorating microfilm and the city library had no budget to scan the microfilms. There was a recent book covering the topic; and when I get the chance I'll google the exact title and author...

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to show off some of our pics from Afghanistan in '05.
This is 1st SFG (A). We had twelve head of Polish Arab stallions, or what used to be stallions! 18D's took care of that.

1st pic was during a presence patrol at a temporary halt.

Second pic was during an emergency horse swap. One of our horses went down from fat-ass rider syndrome. We had one of our security force guys bring us another horse. Love those guys, they would do anything for us!

The pack picture is a Javelin CLU that we packed up to the OP above the firebase.

The last pic is rough terrain during a patrol. What a bitch!!

Attachments

• CIMG2305.jpg
    CIMG2305.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 43
  • CIMG2349.jpg
    CIMG2349.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Javelin to OP.jpg
    Javelin to OP.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Rough terrain.jpg
    Rough terrain.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 45
Great pictures, irnbndr. The picture at right of the rough terrain is getting me out of breath just looking at it! :eek: >:{

I just finished reading Charlie Wilson's War, and was interested to see that a major component of our aid to the Muj consisted of Tennessee mules used to get supplies into the front...

Irnbndr: Were you guys using snaffle bits on all of the horses?

Yes. That is all we had available to us at the time. Besides, some of these horses were not very well broke in the face yet. We used alot of plow riegning, except for some of the more experienced horses. We used the more maneuverable horses in the lead element and held our younger horses in the rear. All were broke to gunfire within two weeks except one, he never could take gunfire. Tough bunch!

Damn, too bad you had to take them out green. Pretty tough looking bunch of horses though.

Back