Special Operation Weatherman Training/Pipeline

RustyShackleford

Ranger
Verified SOF
Special operations weathermen conduct the same technical training as all Air Force weathermen. Unlike other special operations forces, special operations weather only recruits from existing resources within the weather career field. Special operations weather training includes AFSOC's Advanced Skills Training based at Hurlburt Field, Fla., which produces combat ready special tactics operators through an intensive mentoring training philosophy.

Initial Skills U.S. Army Airborne School, Fort Benning, Ga. -- Trainees learn basic parachuting skills required to infiltrate an objective area by static line airdrop in a three-week course.

U.S. Air Force Basic Survival School, Fairchild Air Force Base, Wash. -- This two and a half-week course teaches basic survival techniques for remote areas. This includes instruction of techniques in survival, evasion and escape.

U.S. Air Force Water Survival School, Pensacola Naval Air Station, Fla. -- This one-week course teaches basic water survival techniques.

Initial Skills Training, Hurlburt Field, Fla. -- This unit-level training provides newly assigned weathermen those skills necessary to deploy and operate in permissive and semi-permissive environments. The six-week training includes basic communication, navigation and employment techniques, weapons training and small unit tactics.

Advanced Skills

Air Force Special Operations Command Advanced Skills Training -- Advanced Skills Training employs a "warrior training warrior" philosophy, teaching the skills necessary for successful service in the Special Tactics community. The six-month training school includes advanced communication, navigation techniques, employment techniques, weapons training and small unit tactics.

AFSOC Web page has the following data:
http://preview.afnews.af.mil/afsoc/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=13278

Special operations weathermen are among the most highly trained personnel in the U.S. military. They maintain the same weather weapon system qualifications as all Air Force weathermen in addition to advanced special tactics skills. Their 61 weeks of training and unique mission skills earn them the right to wear the gray beret.

Special Operations Weather Selection Course, Lackland Air Force Base,
Texas - This two-week course focuses on sports physiology, nutrition, basic exercises, special operations weather history and fundamentals.

Special Operations Weather Initial Skills Course, Keesler AFB, Miss. - This 30-week course prepares Air Force special operations weather apprentices. Training includes basic, intermediate, and advanced meteorology, meteorological reports and computer operations. Other topics include: satellite meteorology, weather chart analysis, weather radar, weather products, tropical meteorology, synoptic level analytical meteorology, weather prognosis techniques, forecasting weather elements to include severe weather, synoptic lab, forecasting lab, and a unit on the weather career field and weather equipment. This is the same course, with the inclusion of rigorous fitness progression training, that all Air Force weather apprentices attend and is the core skill of special operations weathermen.

U.S. Army Airborne School, Fort Benning, Ga. - Trainees learn the basic parachuting skills required to infiltrate an objective area by static line airdrop in a three-week course.

U.S. Air Force Basic Survival School, Fairchild AFB, Wash. - This two and a half-week course teaches basic survival techniques for remote areas. Instruction includes principles, procedures, equipment and techniques, which enable individuals to survive, regardless of climatic conditions or unfriendly environments and return home.

U.S. Air Force Water Survival Training, Fairchild AFB, Wash. - This two-day course teaches employing principles, procedures, techniques, and equipment that enhance their ability to survive in a water environment and assist in their safe recovery and return to friendly control.

U.S. Air Force Underwater Egress Training, Fairchild AFB, Wash. - This one-day course teaches the principles, procedures, and techniques necessary to successfully egress from a sinking aircraft. Training requires personnel to actually experience water entry and to perform underwater egress.

Special Operations Weather Apprentice Course, Pope AFB, N.C. - This 13-week course provides final special operations weather qualifications. Training includes physical training, austere weather operations, tactical weather observations, small unit tactics, land navigation, communications, demolitions, and field operations including parachuting. At the completion of this course, each graduate is awarded their 3-skill level (journeymen), gray beret and SOWT crest.

Special Tactics Advanced Skills Training, Hurlburt Field, Fla. - This 12-to-15-month program for newly assigned special operations weathermen produces mission-ready operators for the Air Force and U.S. Special Operations Command. Three phases -- initial skills, core tasks, and operational readiness training --test the trainee's personal limits through demanding mental and physical training.

Also, AF magazine had an article saying the CBAT Schoolhouse was canx'd. Cost too much and onlly used by 4% of the forec (you know, the guys/gals actuly engaging the enemy).

Quick update.
The weather guys have their own AFSC now, Big Blue has also approved a pipeline for SOWT. The first (I believe) orientation course just completed at Lackland, and the new gonnabees are headed to Keesler AFB for(their first) tech school.
My understanding is the SOF Weather hub will move to Hurlburt from Offutt and they will get their hub experience there. WE should see newly minted operators in a couple of year, and I wish them best of luck and soft landings.

I'm prior service, from air guard, and I was interested in sowt. I was wondering if the special operations weather initial skill course was accompanied if your married. I also read that academically that school was very hard. is it possible to get ahold of some kind of syllabus to study up ahead of time?

joseph,
Please provide an Intro in the correct sub-forum before posting again.

Thank you.

I'm prior service, from air guard, and I was interested in sowt. I was wondering if the special operations weather initial skill course was accompanied if your married. I also read that academically that school was very hard. is it possible to get ahold of some kind of syllabus to study up ahead of time?
Introduce yourself and I'll respond.

As a meteorology student, I have become very interested in joining the military after college (I'm assuming as an officer) and I have been wondering how having a degree in meteorology might help me with in the process of joining the SOWT or Weather Combat in general. Does it cut down on the training time at all? (I will already know the physics/mathematics involved. Just getting down to the operational side would be the only necessary training) Obviously, the entire physical training would not be passed up though.
I have been wanting to go to a recruiting office to get some information on this, but it seemed that maybe talking with people involved directly would have a better outcome.
Thank you for your time.

Also, sorry to "SOWT" for sending him a PM regarding this before posting here. I figured this way it could get more exposure and more replies.

Does anyone have any advice for someone trying to pursue a career as a SOWT operator?

Yes. It's called Attention to Detail, as in "You should have read the rules and posted an introduction first." That being said, your next post will be an appropriate introduction in the appropriate thread.

Introduce yourself and I'll respond.

SOWT, I hate to grave-dig on old threads but I've had some interest in maybe cross-training over to SOWT when my window opens. And like guardguy asked and I haven't read an answer to it anywhere I've looked, is any of the pipeline accompanied by a dependent? I'm married with a young son, and I know in non-special operations career fields if your tech school is over X amount of weeks then you can have your dependent come to where you're at. Thanks

SOWT, I hate to grave-dig on old threads but I've had some interest in maybe cross-training over to SOWT when my window opens. And like guardguy asked and I haven't read an answer to it anywhere I've looked, is any of the pipeline accompanied by a dependent? I'm married with a young son, and I know in non-special operations career fields if your tech school is over X amount of weeks then you can have your dependent come to where you're at. Thanks
I'll check, my gut says no PCS until you hit Hurlburt.
I believe they shortened Weather School to eliminate the PCS requirement, again I'll check.

Back