Special Operations Expands (AFSOC)

B

Boondocksaint375

Special Operations Expands
Posted: 10:01 AM Aug 23, 2007
http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/9324722.html

The gates of Hurlburt are busy and constantly getting busier as more and more growth takes place, especially within the Special Operations Command.
Starting in November, Hurlburt Field will begin transferring the first of 1,000 special ops positions to Cannon Air Force Base in New Mexico.

Matt Durham with Air Force Special Operations public affairs, said, "This is because the ramp at Hurlburt is full and this will help us grow as a command, so we're actually taking a second base."
Cannon, a slightly smaller Air Force Base, is ideal because of its geography.
Matt Durham said, "Well, Cannon Air Force Base has Melrose Range, which affords us to use mountains like the environment we're fighting in in the Middle East."
And that fight in the Middle East is what makes the expansion of the Air Force Special Operations Command so important.

Matt Durham said, "Well, because of the threats to the U.S. and our allies right now, special ops brings something to the fight some other units can't. So the fact that special ops is growing helps keep America safe."
At first glance the transferring of 1,000 positions to Cannon Air Force Base seems like it would create an impact on surrounding communities like Navarre and Fort Walton Beach, but Durham assures the change won't be noticeable.
Matt Durham said, "The population of the base will remain approximately consistent. As people leave, people will come in and you won't see much of a change."
In six years officials expect the size of Cannon to have grown from 4,400 people to around 6,000.

Cannon...:doh:...those poor poor bastards...i think Cannon's claim to fame is an applebees...oh wait...didn't they shoot the Transformers movie there...that sucks

no kidding...i'm in ACC so thank god i don't have the threat of moving back to new mexico. But to me, putting operators in a place like cannon is like putting Japanese business men in a karaoke bar with a broken Karaoke Machine.

no kidding...i'm in ACC so thank god i don't have the threat of moving back to new mexico. But to me, putting operators in a place like cannon is like putting Japanese business men in a karaoke bar with a broken Karaoke Machine.

I agree.
Cannon has a lot to offer...from a training standpoint.

The folks assigned there are not going to be happy, but someone with a little money could open a bar, or good a dinner, and make good money.

The retirees at Cannonhave no idea what is in store for them. They begged the BRAC to keep Cannon open, and now must live with their wishes. LOL.

My exacts words to the AFSOC/DS were this:

Okay sir, just so you know...if we plan on putting operators on the ground where there isn't that much to keep them amused then they are very liable to make their own amusment and it may not all be STRAC. :D

He just smiled, I guess he thought of that as well ;)

As for me I'm staying at Hurlburt til they drag me out...and I will leave finger nail marks as they drag me through the door jamb :)

Duke

i foresee that Cannon will soon be the nations biggest problem child base...i know if i were there, the first thing i'd do would be to get drunk and park my car in the base commander's living room:D at least that'd get me outta there, and maybe sent over to the army...with a promotion;)

Thats what Happend when we (1/75) were banned from almost all the Bars in Savannah:doh:

Back