Special Operations Psychiatric Provider?

Betenhauser

SOF Support
Good day all.

I'm in a doctorate program for psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner, and I am in the process of applying for a direct commission with the air force. I had heard that there may be certain provider roles with Air Force Special Warfare as some type of "human maintainer" which interests me greatly, but I have found next to nothing about it online. Has anyone here have any insight into whether such a role exists and what it may entail?

With deep respect and thanks.

When I was in AFSOC we had a psychologist as part of the Operational Support Medical (OSM) flight. Not sure if there are still positions or if they are with STS now.

Human Maintainer is not a bad description. I've worked with a mix of active duty and contractor ops psychs and am a big fan of the capabilities they provide. In a one-on-one setting, they can provide coaching to help an individual with coping skills and resiliency. In a team setting, they can help to illuminate individual personality blind spots and then help the team understand how those traits may negatively impact team effectiveness and how to mitigate them.

They do exist within AFSOC, and not only with Special Warfare - though I'm not certain on how and at what level of command they are assigned.

Human Maintainer is not a bad description. I've worked with a mix of active duty and contractor ops psychs and am a big fan of the capabilities they provide. In a one-on-one setting, they can provide coaching to help an individual with coping skills and resiliency. In a team setting, they can help to illuminate individual personality blind spots and then help the team understand how those traits may negatively impact team effectiveness and how to mitigate them.

They do exist within AFSOC, and not only with Special Warfare - though I'm not certain on how and at what level of command they are assigned.

There's also significant evidence that if shit goes sideways the more forward resources like this are, the better outcome for the warfighter. This is even more true in units with missions that aren't always open for public consumption.

Can’t speak for the special tactics side of things, but in the aircraft maintenance group at Hurlburt we have a civilian contractor POTFF assigned to us who helps out with that area. From what I’ve read that’s a SOCOM wide program. I’d imagine if we have one at the group level, others are likely assigned to some of the other groups if not squadrons. They do things like marriage retreats, free/reduced price vacations, and other things to just take the load off for a bit. Whether civilian or active duty, the role is much appreciated. Best of luck.

Back