Spider Bite

Ok, everybody, I get to play medic again.

Helpful hints if you live in areas where there could be creepy-crawlies with fangs (highly technical medical term, hope it doesn't freak you out, or send you to Taber's online).

1. Cedar lining, chips, boards work - keep them in your closets/dresser drawers, bugs hate them. Sachets bring out the bad buggies - stay away from them (think bugs and perfume, 'nuff said)
2. shoes, boots, sneakers - hold by toes, bang the heels together vigorously prior to sticking your stinky piggies in them - because, bugs (and sand and rocks and twigs, and little baby snakes) will fall out.
3. all clothing - shake it out prior to putting it on (see #2 above, less the snakes, unless you live in the jungle).
4. bedding - if unused for longer than 3 weeks - be safe and vigorously shake it out prior to using it. Outdoor bedding - always shake it out.

If you have to go to basements/attics/crawlspaces - long sleeves, long pants - light the area prior to going into it, keep them dry, spray them with insecticide - attics - if you store stuff up there - always be careful opening the boxes, and occasionally, air the attic out (a fan or open windows).

If you use daypacks, or for you wimmenz, purses - shake them out occasionally - but keep them zipped most of the time.

Hope this helps.

Tova-
Do the ABX seem to be working? Has the heat in the area gone down? Are you soaking the affected area to draw out the venom/infection?

Keep us up to date.

Inquiring medics want to know!

I've had to go on another round of antibiotics as the first didn't seem to be doing much - the redness/swelling is finally starting to go down and it is not so tender to the touch but damn if it still doesn't itch at times - having long fingernails at a time like this is NOT a good thing! :uhh:Yes, I have been soaking it when I can - work has a way of getting in the way and sometimes I get too busy to remember :(

Thank you for asking :)

I am glad you are OK. As you have heard from these knowledgeable fellows a spider bite can turn on you quick without medical attention.

I am going to remember those tips on avoiding the creppy critters.

I almost ran into this sucker's cousin in his web last night:
1033f09.jpg

Classic wheel shaped web. She was about 1-1/2" long. She is pushing up daisies now. They like to span their webs across pretty big spans. I have seen them in my yard with webs that spanned 4 or 5 feet. I always encounter them at night. I am pretty careful and watch out when walking between a likely spot for them. But this one was building a web in the playset amongst the swings. If they stay out of the way I leave them alone but when the get in my way I exterminate them.

Back