Civil Registration:
G-AWIJ
Model: Mark IIa
Name: None
Last info: 2002 History:
Built at Castle Bromwich, 1940.
Delivered to RAF as P7350, 1940.
- Allocated to 6 MU in August 1940.
- Transferred to 266 Sqn as UO-T, Sep. 6, 1940.
- Transferred to 603 Sqn RAuxAF.
- Transferred to 1 CRU in Nov. 1940.
- Transferred to 37 MU for storage.
- Transferred to 616 Sqn on March 18, 1941.
- Transferred to 64 Sqn on Apr. 10, 1941.
- Transferred to 37 MU, Jan. 1942.
- Transferred to Central Gunnery School, Apr. 1942-Feb. 1943.
- Transferred to 57 OTU, Mar. 31st, 1943.
RAF Colerne, Stored, July 24, 1944-1947
- Assigned to 39 MU.
- Sold as scrap, John Dale & Sons, Ltd. 1947
RAF Colerne Collection, 1947-1967
- Static display
Spitfire Productions Ltd., Elstree, Apr. 25, 1968
- Registered as G-AWIJ
- Flown in movie "Battle Of Britain", 1968
- Returned to RAF, October 1968
RAF Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight, Oct. 1968-2002
- Damaged on take-off (repaired), RAF Chivenor, July 29, 1992.
- Flew as P7350/RN-S (later BA-Y, then XT-D).
- Delivered to St. Athans for overhaul, Sept. 25, 2000.
- Redelivered to BBMF, RAF Coningsby, June 6, 2001.
- Flown as P7350/XT-D.

This was the best part. I'd love to see pictures. “They were just buried there in transport crates,” Mr Cundall said. “They were waxed, wrapped in greased paper and their joints tarred. They will be in near perfect condition.”

I was just going to say that how they were buried was the best part. I wonder what else is buried out there.

The end of the war saw a lot of equipment simply buried off the ends of runways and the like, though none likely in the shape these spits are hopefully in.

WOW, what a deal. I'd love to see some of those in the air. My eldest daughter and her family live in England. She lives not far from Dover, and there are several WW II era aircraft that take to the air. We see them from her farm in Ashford. They have a sound unlike any other aircraft. Even here in the Shen Valley, we see WW II heavies that show near here annually. On arrival and departure, they fly right over the house, the sound is tremendous. The bombers roar, and the Mustangs just have a beautifully nasty snarl; I love them. Thanks Free!!

RF 1

Well, this didn't take long. We should start a pool on how many days this will take to hit the British courts.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012...ried-wwii-spitfires-in-burma/?intcmp=features

The long-lost planes were discovered after a $200,000 quest by aviation enthusiast David Cundall.
British prime minister David Cameron sent a business delegation to Burma after the planes in late April -- and he brought along wealthy real estate developer Steven Boultbee Brooks instead of him.
"Mr. Brooks wants all rights handed over to him, including media rights, and if there's any money
over he says he might pay me something. It's appalling," Cundall told the Independent.
The 62-year-old Cundall claims he was pressured into abandoning his claim to the 67-year-old fighters by Brooks, a British version of Donald Trump who presented him with a "memorandum of understanding" that took control of his overseas activities, the Vancouver Sun said.
He learned of the Cameron / Brooks trip after the fact -- and called the terms of the memorandum an insult.

Maybe things will procede without a court battle afterall. Curiously, and I'm skeptical but we'll see if the numbers pan out, they are now claiming 60.

60! That's almost equal to the total number left on the planet. So, yeah, I'm interested to see how many they can recover.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/1...to-dig-up-buried-wwii-planes/?test=latestnews

The Myanma Ahlin daily reported that the excavation agreement was signed Tuesday by Director General of Civil Aviation Tin Naing Tun, Cundall on behalf of his British company DJC, and Htoo Htoo, managing director of Cundall's Burma partner, the Shwe Taung Paw company.

Bonus points: the deal was signed with the guy who found them. :)

Back