"Stray Anti-Military Vibes" on College Campuses?

and some clowns like Jim Sleeper and Stephen Walt get all passive-aggressivey (yes I said "aggressivey") and lash out.
That is really pathetic and so small minded. Not the way to treat men and women who have put their lives on the line so these same oxygen thieves can live in their perfect little worlds...... I will stop now before I say something I should not.

I just wanted to post my own experiences with the students and professors on my college campus and the university's relationship with our Army ROTC group here.

I kind of lost that whole notion that most colleges are inherently anti-military. Yes, I do know there are most certain some that are, but I do not get that "vibe" from mine. I can only speak about this through the relationship between Army ROTC and the university, but I believe it works for this discussion.

The University of Dayton is what I would call a very "liberal" univeristy (hell...this is the same university that brags constantly about one of its professors being the brother of now Secretary of Defense Hagel... yep...pretty liberal. :rolleyes: ) But there is a strong, unbreakable bond between ROTC here and the University. My school does everything it can to support the cadets and their cadre, including support for classes, tutoring, and provides its own special scholarship funds to supplement what the Army gives, or cover what the Army does not pay out. It always shows our organization in a positive light, and this positive light permeates through the rest of the student body.

I know no one that is vehemently anti-military as far as the cadets here go. Now, I am in a discipline that is nearly as liberal as it can get and I hear a lot of anti-military discussion in classes, but I don't want to confuse things. There is anti-military vibes around the campus as far as disdain towards the INSTITUTION goes, but not the soldiers, the people, who participate in it. I always acted in my four years at this school in such a way to refine the anti-military institution opinions of my professors and peers and shockingly, even their opinions changed. There is much to be said about opening dialogue with my professors about this type of topic and being able to be a representative of the U.S military and alter opinions from that. Ironically, those who professors of mine who spoke more negatively about the military are the same professors who are currently writing my recommendations for my future grad school ventures, and they write these positive letters keeping the opinion that I am a representative of the military. I always take advantage of this position in my classes, where I can provide my own side of the discussion when any anti-military discourse takes place and through this I believe most of the University, a very liberal one at that, has a genuinely positive opinion of it, if not then at least the people who make our military and ultimately shape its image.

Back