Sudan to host Russian military base

Kraut783

SOF Support
Interesting...good chess move Russia

MOSCOW — Russia will establish a naval logistic center and repair yard in Sudan under a new agreement signed by Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin on Nov. 6 but just made public this week.

"Russia will be allowed to transfer “any kind of military equipment or munition, equipment or material” through Sudanese ports that are required for the center, the agreement read.

The center will function under Russia’s jurisdiction, and the agreement will last for 25 years, with the option to renew it for another 10-year period."

Interesting bit of news. The article doesn't mention where they think this will go but looking at a map there's the appropriately named Port Sudan that I suspect is the intended spot.

Interesting...good chess move Russia

MOSCOW — Russia will establish a naval logistic center and repair yard in Sudan under a new agreement signed by Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin on Nov. 6 but just made public this week.

"Russia will be allowed to transfer “any kind of military equipment or munition, equipment or material” through Sudanese ports that are required for the center, the agreement read.

The center will function under Russia’s jurisdiction, and the agreement will last for 25 years, with the option to renew it for another 10-year period."

Wow, Sudan is out there making deals with all kinds of people.

The timing of this agreed installment.

Sudan's response, less than a month after the US removed its 'state sponsor of terrorism' designation to permit the World Bank, IMF, and other institutions to start pouring long-needed investments and humanitarian aid into the country, is to turn around and agree to host Russia's first official military base on the continent.

The slap I'm seeing is mostly to the US, which brokered the deal, has a well-known rivalry with Russia, and in the past has made its support to HoA countries contingent on their agreement not to allow Russia to establish a military presence.

This

Sudan's response, less than a month after the US removed its 'state sponsor of terrorism' designation to permit the World Bank, IMF, and other institutions to start pouring long-needed investments and humanitarian aid into the country, is to turn around and agree to host Russia's first official military base on the continent.

The slap I'm seeing is mostly to the US, which brokered the deal, has a well-known rivalry with Russia, and in the past has made its support to HoA countries contingent on their agreement not to allow Russia to establish a military presence.
This is very good analysis.

I don't see Russia having the capacity of maintaining any real presence on the continent. It will be highly dependent on what they do with the port than what they can do with military capacity. They've always done better working with UW/IW, 3rd party actors to accomplish something of significance.

We have our differences, but this is a strong post.

Back